Draper Estate

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
TAK
Friday 25 May 2012 1.09pm
Since we had various treads in relation to Draper Estate I thought It may be best to set up an new general tread for the whole Draper Estate where various issues could be discussed.
TAK
Friday 25 May 2012 1.14pm
Bikelockers
You’ve probably seen that finally 12 bike lockers have been installed on the estate (by ball court / kids play area) at end of January 2012. This goes back to cleaner greener funding the T&RA secured when Eric or Diane was the chair. Planning and installation couldn’t go ahead at that time as Strata was being constructed and large parts under Wollaston Close were taken up by Brookfield, as well as re-landscaping works around Draper House were impending. Once landscaping works were finished my neighbour Michael and I have been chasing for nearly two years to get these lockers through planning application and installed. We still hope to get a few more lockers for the estate if possible.

Since the estate doesn’t have a T&RA at present I think no-one ever officially announced the arrival of these lockers nor has any information be passed on to residents how to obtain one – apart from the company name and telephone number mounted onto the sides of the lockers. Southwark Council is planning a mail drop to the estate as well as putting some notices up in notice boards shortly.

I was informed at present 4 lockers are still available for rent for residents of Draper Estate only. However, as there is an acute shortage of bike lockers on neighbouring estates any lockers not let by 22nd June 2012 will be offered to people on waiting lists outside of our estate. So if you want a locker now is the time to pick up the phone and reserve one. First come first served!

The rental cost for a locker is £30 per year plus a £20 refundable deposit on the key. There is a £5 rental discount for new customers in the first year. If you’re interested please get in touch with Sophie Hackett at BikeAway by 22 June 2012 to reserve a locker Tel: 01752 344656.
http://www.cyclemanagement.co.uk/lockers.aspx

I have been renting one since February and am over the moon not having to schlepp my bike into the lift and through the flat onto the balcony. I also think my bike is happy that it’s now in a fully covered box not sitting in wind and rain any longer, and presumably whomever is in the lift with me doesn’t mind either that nowadays my bike stays on the ground floor.
Sunday 27 May 2012 12.45am
I also rent one of the Bikeaway lockers on Draper, and have found that it has changed my cycling experience: the bike is now safely stored a few yards away from the entrance to my building and this makes using it a hassle free affair.

The locker keeps the bike safe (Steel cabinets under CCTV surveillance), dry and ready for immediate use: I keep my helmet, gloves and all accessories in there so I can leave my home without any particular preparation except taking along the key (which lives on my keyring anyway).

My bike no longer takes up valuable space inside my apartment: I had tried for a while keeping one in the balcony, but it soon rusted up so I then kept it in the entrance hall. However, there it was in the way and gave the space a crammed appearance.

I used to hate having to carry the machine up in the lifts as I could sense that some other residents were inconvenienced by having to ride with it in the cabin, and for 8.22 pence a day I think this solution represents great value for money.

I fully endorse TAK's suggestion, and wholly recommend any Draper Estate cyclists to apply for a locker before they are all allocated to non residents: it's a bargain and you won't regret it.

PS: To TAK and any other Draper Estate residents:

There is a fledgling FaceBook page for our community. It has been advertised on the notice boards, but I understand that it isn't easy to find with a search.

For all you fellow Draper Residents (tenants or leaseholder) this is the address. Join now so that we can have an arena to discuss all the important issues relating to our estate!!
TAK
Monday 2 July 2012 2.37pm
I've just managed to get hold of some pictures of Draper House entrance dating back to 1966.

As Graham described in another post the fair faced concrete mural on outside of entrance used to extend all the way through the entrance lobby and the floor finish used to be white marble. Sadly floor and walls have been over clad meanwhile with ceramic tiles. What a loss - this was such a stunning entrance!

Monday 2 July 2012 4.50pm
In 1986, following the demise of the GLC, Southwark got a load of money, and spent it on digging up the marble to put in mats, and a large box of ceramic tiles.
Monday 2 July 2012 5.04pm
TAK wrote:
I've just managed to get hold of some pictures of Draper House entrance dating back to 1966.
As Graham described in another post the fair faced concrete mural on outside of entrance used to extend all the way through the entrance lobby and the floor finish used to be white marble. Sadly floor and walls have been over clad meanwhile with ceramic tiles. What a loss - this was such a stunning entrance!

Wow!
Monday 2 July 2012 5.30pm
TBeautiful stuff.
Monday 2 July 2012 9.13pm
That's pure Italian stylin'. Typical Southwark to cover it up!
TAK
Thursday 12 December 2013 4.18pm
I've just found this website with lots of archive pictures of model and presumably only just completed Draper Estate. There seems to be three pages of pictures.
http://collage.cityoflondon.gov.uk/collage/app?service=external/SearchResults&sp=I9%3ADraper+House+%28L.B.+of+Southwark%29%3A%3AD&sp=241060&sp=X
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: