Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 31 May 2012 9.32am
OK - I give in. Does anyone have any idea what 200 chestnut horses were doing cantering down Blackfriars Road at 8.00am this morning? And before anyone asks - no this isn't the morning after the night before!
Thursday 31 May 2012 10.31am
They didn't skip a red light did they?
Thursday 31 May 2012 10.58am
And I bet they were noisy.
Thursday 31 May 2012 11.50am
They were quite - went past my window. That they were accompanied by a number of people in khaki suggests it's something to do with the jubilee - where would they be heading to? Thinking about it, I suppose if you do have to move hundreds of horses at the same time, walking them there is probably the best way to do it. They are a mode of transport, after all. And they were walking rather than cantering. That could have been messy.

The weekend starts here, it seems.
Thursday 31 May 2012 12.56pm
Ha ha ha - very amusing! Actually when they passed by me they were definitely cantering - looked like they were on a mission. I was a bit concerned at the thought they might be having to negotiate the Elephant roundabouts!
Thursday 31 May 2012 1.23pm
there's something quite beautiful about those few moments when you first hear the clicketing of horse hooves on pavement, only to have the image of 'freerange' horses instantly shattered when you look up to see the mounted police.
Thursday 31 May 2012 3.43pm
Damn I missed it, would loved to have seen that.
Friday 1 June 2012 10.17am
your message fascinates me, it sounds like a dream but is obviously true and leaves so many questions unanswered for me: were they chestnut or bays (chestnuts are not too common whereas bays are the most common), were they being ridden individually or being led by a few riders, going north or south, at a canter or trot? Oh I do so envy you seeing them, I live quite close to Blackfriars Road and didn't even hear them.
Friday 1 June 2012 1.36pm
Presumably have been maneouvring horses around as a part of this morning's practice for the carriage parade on Tuesday - would have loved to have seen it. I like the juxtaposition when there are large numbers of horses on the London streets.
Friday 1 June 2012 2.57pm
I thought they were chestnut, but I'm no expert. They were in pairs with a rider on one horse leading another and they were going at quite a pace, so whether that counts as cantering or trotting I don't know. They came from the north and were heading south, which is why the prospect of the Elephant roundabouts alarmed me! It was a rather lovely sight I have to say.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: