Thames Path/Shad Thames

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Sunday 3 June 2012 10.29pm
Does anyone know the status of the riverside walkway at Shad Thames? We had always thought it was part of the Thames Path (i.e. a publicly accessible walking route) but when we tried to get down to the river this afternoon there were security barriers in several places preventing access and we were told it was private -admission by ticket only.

Was there any advance warning of this? We didn't see any notices displayed beforehand.
Sunday 3 June 2012 10.36pm
Hi Annabel

I understand it is private property in front of the flats. It was open for disability access and I took my brother. I found out once we were there that it was open to anyone living in se1 or se16 but you needed to take a bill and I'd. I didn't see this advertised everywhere and because my brother was with me I did LOTS of research about where to go that would be comfortable. There were lots of people outside getting increasingly angry. To begin with it was a lot of people that just looked minted and could afford pricy tickets but towards the vent it got increasingly diverse and a good atmosphere. I hope you managed to get somewhere to enjoy the day.

Sunday 3 June 2012 11.50pm
The whole thing was a disaster. My grandaughter had come up from Dorset we headed to the Tate, blocked off, no warning. The stewards had no idea what the rules where, nor did the police.

If I knew SE1 people were allowed in I could have proved it. Total shambles.

We yomped to Lambeth Bridge and said granddaughter got some good views.
(And is, I think, on Mexican television)

If the Olympics is like this, look for ritual humiliation for London and UK.
Monday 4 June 2012 12.48am
I live about 3 minutes walk from the river and at 1'oclock all access to the Thames was blocked from Southwark Cathedral, Clink Street,Bank End, New Globe Walk and the small pedestrian road to the Tate from Park Street and when I peeked through from the barrier to the Thames I noticed that the crowd was maybe just 3-4 deep. On the TV the police said access was restricted because of overcrowding issues but this was not the case on this stretch of the river and they were telling people to go to Vauxhall. I did notice from a distance some people showing a paper and they got through but I assumed they were allowed because they were residents of the riverside apartments or they were VIP's and to think they were locals like myself and all they needed was to show was a utility bill - gutted!! Retreated back home to watch it on the TV with a cuppa but I did feel sorry for all those that had travelled a distance, all decked out with flags and such like, walking for hours trying to find somewhere to see the Flotilla.
Monday 4 June 2012 1.48am
I had no idea about the utility bill thing either but headed at around 4pm for the one spot on Bankside that I thought might be vaguely accessible, and it was. Clink St etc was blocked off but via the market I got down to the newly redone riverside bit with the Walter Raleigh inscription in front of the Mudlark pub.

Missed the Barge of Bling but the crowds then would've been too thick to have caught a glimpse anyway. Still, got to the front in time to see a bunch of the following craft. A wet but not totally wasted time.
Monday 4 June 2012 10.20am
I too could not get to the riverfront. Was told by a policeman that Potter's Fields was closed as it was full up, but there was not a soul in there and there were barriers all around it.
I managed to glimpse the riverfront near Tower Bridge (through the barriers and huge police presence) and there were just a few people lining it, maybe about three deep.
The officer told me that all the big businesses along that stretch owned the land and they were having private parties. I am born and bred in this area and was much looking forward to this event. I was telling the officer I lived local, but he mentioned nothing about proving where I live.
What happened to the ancient rights of river access? There is small turning by the Anchor Brewhouse called Maggie Blake's Cause, named after a local lady who campaigned to keep the river access open for all!
Monday 4 June 2012 11.22am
It is sad that nothing was announced to any of the people in SE1 even a leaflet would have been sufficient. When checking online on my iphone still nothing to even point you in the direction of a utility bill. I think most was made up as they went along apart from the ticket ban in place.
No access granted at all yesterday. Luckily no one came over from far to see the pageant in our case.
We headed home and watched it at home, and had a nice afternoon, but quite frankly I cannot understand how things have to be so closed to the general public rather than open. I am dutch and we celebrate Queens day every year and no such thing of tickets and limited access is the case but just everyone enjoying the day, the atmosphere and having fun.
I hope the Olympics are not the same and they have at least the decency to inform you.
Monday 4 June 2012 11.32am
I did feel sorry for all those that had travelled a distance, all decked out with flags and such like, walking for hours trying to find somewhere to see the Flotilla.

So do I, but did you really think the mad parade was for the likes of us?

We've had the circus. When do we get the bread?
Monday 4 June 2012 11.44am
We walked up by the design museum at 1:30, only to be told by the security guard that we either had to have a ticket or live in the waterfront flats.

Wandered down to Potters Fields to be told that it was full - despite clearly seeing no more than a scattering of people on TV minutes before.

It was only when we gave up and came home that somebody in our block of flats said about the utility bill thing. So we went back down with a credit card bill and got straight in with a prime spot opposite HMS President - quite why a) it wasn't advertised and b) the security guards didn't mention it first time around I don't know.
Monday 4 June 2012 1.40pm
If I had a posh phone I would have posted the utility thing on here yesterday. Potters field being empty is a travesty.

Btw the Bermondsey st party is just starting now...
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: