Sash windows

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 6 June 2012 1.57pm
I need to have 3 new sash windows installed. I am not sure whether to go for timber or PVC. Any recommendations for manufacturers/installers and thoughts on whether timber or PVC is better appreciated?

Thanks.
Wednesday 6 June 2012 2.15pm
PVC has improved enormously over the years and can now passably resemble traditional timber sliding sashes - but to my eye, you can't beat the real thing.

Yes, they're pricey but the contribution they make both to your home's appearance and its price means that they're worth the investment.

I used a firm called SM Joinery (not local, I'm afraid) and am happy to recommend them.
Wednesday 6 June 2012 2.35pm
Thanks. Do the timber version require much maintenance?
Wednesday 6 June 2012 3.07pm
Hi - don't go for PVC, they look awful! We recently had ours replaced with new double glazed wooden units. They look great, are draft free and we're really pleased with them. We used a company called 'Draft Busters' who were amazing. We saw them doing work on another house in our road and the guy seemed really nice. They were so good - they are real craftsmen and they basically build each window fairly bespoke. The guy even did a few odd jobs around the house whilst he had some downtime (they build the new units in their workshop, after taking a template in the house) - fixed a couple of doors, fitted a stair-gate for my wife. The doors we didn't even ask him to fix - he just did it as he noticed they were sticking.

They come round a do a survey and quote you a fixed price. It's not cheap, but we needed new 'window boxes' on 2 of our windows, as the old ones were rotten (140+ years old!).

Took then about a week in total and we had 3 windows done and it cost about 5000.

They will require painting every 3-5 years or so but no more maintenance than that. Cheap windows are pointless - they don't last.

Feel free to PM me if you want to come and have a look at them. I can't recommend this company enough - no connection, just a happy SE1 customer.
Wednesday 6 June 2012 7.08pm
I went for traditional wooden sashes, they do require painting every three to five years but a small price to pay given how beautiful they look in my home.

I used a company called Draught Busters (possibly the same as the company that JGarcia used), I had five windows replaced by them.

A very professional company who make the new windows in the own workshop and they were very good workers who took great care to respect my property while they were working on it. Tided up every day after themselves and even filled a couple of small holes that I had in my bedroom wall.

Please see link below for their website.

Wednesday 6 June 2012 9.13pm
Our's were done by The sash window workshop, www.sashwindow.com, They were done before we moved in so can't really comment about the company except they look fabulous, beautiful workmanship and very good double glazed insulation.
ADT
Friday 8 June 2012 1.54pm
Fortis & Hooke, www.sash-windowrenovation.co.uk are also worth speaking to. They (and also draught-busters by the look of their website) do overhaul of original windows (and fitment of double glazing into the original frames). If you already have wooden sashes then this is more cost effective than getting entirely new units and also means you keep the original frames, which is nice if they have a bit of character. We're having our windows/doors overhauled and fitted with double glazing by F&H and this is coming in 60% cheaper than the cost for new sashes/doors etc.
Friday 8 June 2012 2.44pm
Thanks all. I will require completely new windows. Have Draught Busters and a few others coming over to get some quotes.
Friday 8 June 2012 6.44pm
I cannot recommend Draughtbusters highly enough, they made 4 new double Sash units for us last year & also Draft proofed 2 old ones for me.

The Salesperson was fantastic and took his time to explain every element of the job,the joinery was first class and to a very high standard, the two guys who fitted the windows were very professional and left no mess at all.

i would defiantly use them again
Saturday 9 June 2012 9.51am
Thanks. Will let you know who I end up going with and the end result.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network