Greet Street/The Cut bombing 17.04.41

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 11 June 2012 11.07am
Does anyone have a list of the names and personal details of the people killed at Walkling's Bakery in the enemy bombing raids of 16/17 April 1941? Also, any photographs of the building before the raid would really assist me in my research. Many thanks.
Monday 11 June 2012 4.32pm
The names of the 54 victims are recorded on a roll of honour which can be seen inside the theatre.
Monday 11 June 2012 6.22pm
Here's a very interesting testimonial on that tragedy.

This is the plaque outside the New Vic. Unfortunately, I was unable to find an image of the one inside the theatre...

A place more likely than others to have plenty of info on this event is the John Harvard Local History Library at 211 Borough High Street, SE1 1JA.

Bet wishes on your research.
Monday 11 June 2012 6.26pm
The Young Vic is in Lambeth (though it's within yards of the borough boundary) so Lambeth Archives at the Minet Library would also be relevant.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 11 June 2012 6.42pm
You're right James the Minet Library should also be checked out.

Not in SE1, but the Museum of London may well yield some good info.
Monday 11 June 2012 11.52pm
The names of those killed are on a memorial roll inside the Tenants' Hall in the Cut where the local Archaeological Society meet. They are meeting tonight and details are on the events page of this website. I don't think Minet Road library have any photos of the building pre war. I tried there when I was researching the incident a couple of years ago. They do have Lambeth Control memo slips there. I also used the Post Office directory for 1936 to build up a mental picture of the area and make my own street map for that stretch of the Cut.

It was a huge raid, 16/17 April 1941-the biggest of the Blitz, only superseded by the last night of the Night Blitz, 10/11 May 1941. Much of Blackfriars Road was ablaze. The same night that Christ Church was lost.
Wednesday 20 August 2014 9.10am
Hi Everyone
I am trying to find out some history of my Family.
Before and during the early part of the war my Nan and Grandad, Lucy and Patrick Hall ran a pub in The Cut called The Pear Tree. Before my Dad passed away 40 years ago he told me a little of his past during ww2.
He told me he was bombed out during the war and moved to another pub in Notting Hill( which I lived in).
I have been to The Cut several times trying to figure out were it was. After much searching on the internet I found out it was 128 The Cut se1.
I have looked at old maps and different websites but have not had any luck.
Can anyone point me in the right direction for getting pictures/info on this pub......was it damaged beyond rebuilding, was it knocked down.
Many thanks in advance
Wednesday 20 August 2014 9.26am
Minet local studies library hold the answer - maybe. According to the National Archive website, they hold:

"The Cut LBL/BV/PF/35 November 1955-January 1957

"These documents are held at Lambeth Archives Department

"Former reference: 68545/9

"Contents:

"Correspondence and papers on the purchase from Watney Comb and Reid Ltd. of the site of 'The Pear Tree', 128 The Cut. Included is a photograph of the property prior to 1939."
Wednesday 20 August 2014 5.14pm
Wow...thanks Gavin ....didnt think it would happen this quick....I will chase this lead and let you know
Thursday 21 August 2014 8.41am
For all who are interested there is a very good site "Britain from above" which has some remarkable aerial photographs of the area from the 1920's-1950's.
If you register you are then able to zoom in on the shots you choose and there is some remarkable detail revealed.
For views of The Cut I would suggest ref. EPW 028603 for a pre-war shot and EAW 005232 for a post-war shot which clearly shows how much bomb damage was done to The Cut.
I hope this helps.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: