Shad Thames cobbles

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 14 June 2012 10.16am
Does anyone have any info about the removal of the cobbles under Tower Bridge at Shad Thames?
Thursday 14 June 2012 10.37am
I don't, but I'd hazard a guess they are replacing them with flatter cobbles like they've done over by the Golden Hinde to make it more accessible for wheelchairs/buggies etc.
Thursday 14 June 2012 10.48am
It's probably to connect to the new lift from Shad Thames up to Tower Bridge at Portland Wharf, which will provide a step-free route from Potters Fields Park up to bridge level.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 14 June 2012 11.04am
Clink Street has lost so much character. They should have found another solution, or at least only changed some of the width of it.
Thursday 14 June 2012 11.10am
This is my concern about Shad Thames. Like so many other riverside areas it is an historic part of London, and whether we love them or hate them, often used by film crews. Access to the new lift at Tower Bridge for people with reduced mobility was provided by concrete slabs either side of the cobbles, so digging up the entire area does seem extreme.
Thursday 14 June 2012 12.34pm
I'm all for preservation of heritage, but I think I remember that area was tarmac about 30 years ago - the cobbles are newish.
Thursday 14 June 2012 2.19pm
The cobbles were under the tarmac, Auntie Pat. They were old.
Thursday 14 June 2012 2.52pm
Thanks to the great big Thames Water hole in Queen Elizabeth Street, I now know there are cobbles under the tarmac there too. Would probably be the most effective traffic-calming method out there for all the rat-runners.
Thursday 14 June 2012 6.27pm
beetroot wrote:

ah yes, that would make sense
Thursday 14 June 2012 8.08pm
beetroot wrote:
How old are/were they exactly? I would have taken one home. I have a piece of old Victorian water pipe, Probably not worth anything, but I like the act that it's old.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: