Loud refuse collection at 4/5am- Weston Street/City Walk

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 15 June 2012 10.54am
Has anyone else heard the noisy rubbish trucks back making a racket at around 4.30/5.00am inbetween City Walk and Weston Street? They were out again last night. Spied the logo on the side of the truck and it said 'Bywaters'. Having spoken to them on the phone already on this a few weeks ago they used the excuse of it being a 'trial run for the Olympics' but they've been back this week so it looks like this nuisance is here to stay. Has anyone had any experience with this company? Is there someone at the council who might be able to help? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Surely there must be some laws against refuse collection at this hour, though their using the Olympics as an excuse worries me!
Friday 15 June 2012 11.59am
Sounds like you and AndyABC (see his SE1 Forum thread below) have a lot in common :

Bermondsey Street 6am - refuse collection

It is a simple proposition: the dustbinmen's management (Council or Private) value their livelihood (ease of collection in the early morning) more highly than your livelihood (which regularly disturbed sleep will jeopardise).

Your task, should you choose to accept it, is to intelligently and relentlessly apply pressure, as a client or as a protester, to change this situation in your densely-populated residential area.

I have made some suggestions about how you might achieve this on AndyABC's thread.
Friday 15 June 2012 1.30pm
Cheers ceity slicker. It appears the problem stems from 'The Leathermarket'. I spoke to them on the phone just now and they claim not to have been aware of the collections being made so early. Will let you know where I get to with this peaceful protest!
Friday 15 June 2012 2.09pm
Hi CMPSE1

Are you new to the location? These have been going on a long time, they 'empty' the recycling bins round the side of the leathermarket by Stage Electrics.

This is characterised by the sound of a beeping truck reversing then a thousand smashing bottles @ 5am. I always wondered how legit it was doing at this time.

It would cause me dreams where I thought I was taking part in a greek plate smashing extravaganza & I would wake up with the taste of Tzatziki in my mouth.
Friday 15 June 2012 3.30pm
LongLane- just over a year, but we've only noticed the plate smashing in the last month. The problem stems from The Leathermarket. I've spoken to their site manager Sharon today a couple of times, who assures me these late night collections are going on without her knowledge or consent. It appears Bywaters, the collection company, have their own fob key to the site and are operating as and when they see fit! I told her that so long as they have their own fob key they'll continue to work whatever hours suit them. She's promised me she'll look into this next week (as Bywaters haven't been returning her calls today) but I'm sure it would help our cause if you gave her a ring to let her know there are many more people aggrieved by these anti-social collections. Her contact number is just the main one found on the leathermarket website: http://www.theleathermarket.co.uk/contact/
Friday 22 June 2012 8.51am
Having thought this problem was solved the trucks were back again at 4.30am this morning making a huge racket. For anyone else affected by this I'd urge you to register a complaint with Sharon at 'The Leathermarket' on 0207 357 8941.
Wednesday 27 June 2012 2.04pm
When I first moved into my flat on Bermondsey Street I spent three long years complaining about noise coming into my bedroom at night from the street below. There was always something to wake me at 4 in the morning whether it was rubbish trucks, deliveries or drunks. Finally we had secondary glazing fitted to out windows and now I get a peaceful night sleep every night. Expensive but worth every penny!
Wednesday 27 June 2012 2.48pm
Hi krissytinsley,

Welcome to the se1 Forum and thank you for your comments on this Thread!

I have sent you a PM.
Thursday 28 June 2012 4.29am
They were around this morning at 5:15am...
I'll be sending Leathermarket an email to complain.
Thursday 28 June 2012 9.13am
Good stuff Mikey- the more of us that get in touch the better, as this really has to stop. I'd urge you to phone Sharon at the Leathermarket on 0207 357 8941 to register the complaint, as she's in charge of the refuse collection and is the one who has entrusted them with a fob key so they can come whenever it pleases them!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: