Small Open Spaces in SE1- Red Cross Gardens and Little Dorrit Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 15 June 2012 11.23am
I am carrying out research on Small Open spaces in Southwark and their value to the local community? What do people think of the small open spaces such as Red Cross Gardens and Little Dorrit Park? How do you use them? Are small open spaces preferred to big open spaces and why?
Friday 15 June 2012 11.28am
They are great - hope not too many people find out about them though!

This area does lack larger spaces. Fortunately Burgess Park is being improved but is quite far away and 'district parks' (between the size of local and metropolitan parks) are non existent.

I am not sure whether a clear preference can be stated as they fulfil different functions. If I go to jog I go to Battersea Park, for a quiet read of a book I go to a local park.

Good luck and I suggest if you haven't already that you look at the London Plan open space standards and see how Southwark's open space stacks up.
Friday 15 June 2012 12.27pm
Thanks Colinio.
Friday 15 June 2012 9.21pm
Tbh, I'm thankful for all of the green spaces, whatever their size. L Dorrit and R'cross Way are particular gems, each with unique plus points.

I've really appreciated them as stop off points to give a baby/toddler a space to play/feed etc as part of a longer day out in the neighbourhood. They mean that the grown ups can, e.g. go to the Market or the Sth Bank, and also please junior with some park-based fun en route.

...if you press it, they will come.
Saturday 16 June 2012 6.35am
I find Little Dorrit, Red Cross Gardens and Mint Street Park invaluable. We have young children and use these parks every day.
Saturday 16 June 2012 8.19am
Little Dorrit is an excellent place, the lovely park for Children and as a responsible dog owner I use the small enclosed area adjacent to let my dog have a safe run around. Earlier this year the council had stopped dog's from using it but after being inundated with objections agreed to let it be a designated dog area for a consultation period.
ood
Sunday 17 June 2012 10.44pm
I go to events (usually for children) at Redcross Gardens, such as Mayday celebrations and other smaller parks such as Waterloo Green. I take my children to play in local parks such as Ufford Street, Mint Street and the larger Archbishop's Park on a weekly basis. We use all the open spaces near us intensively, small or large. We will walk up to 20 minutes to use a park, or take a bus to larger parks such as Burgess Park or Southwark Park.

Larger and smaller parks/playgrounds are needed for different reasons, as mentioned above. SE1 could certainly do with more larger parks and even more smaller ones too. The estate playgrounds are shabby and tiny.
Monday 18 June 2012 11.27am
They are wonderful spaces, refreshing both for the action of the greenery often found there and the punctuation of the urban jungle.

However, Southwark is sleepwalking closer to beingf a concrete jungle. Large areas of green space there are going to be turned into private courtyards sitting on top of car parking, supposedly to allow pied-a-terre residents to escape to their country homes.

This is a tragedy of the commons. At present there is a massively underutilised but non-private green space in the area. We should be opening it up, not destroying it forever. To paraphrase Joni Mitchell, perhaps we won't realise the opportunity that has been lost until it's gone.
Tuesday 24 July 2012 9.35am
W. Min

I am resraching the benefits of having a smaller green space for a housing development in order to have lower rise homes.

Do you think you would be able to let me know if you reach any conclusions on the subject.
My email is alice.watson@grosvenor.com

Thanks

Regards

Alice

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: