Tooley St council staff car use reduction

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 15 June 2012 12.45pm
While I welcome the reduction in car use by council staff at Tooley Street, I do not welcome the sudden upsurge in cars parking on the Arnold Estate - which is outside the C-Charge zone and within easy walking distance of Tooley St.

On 3 occasions recently I've had contractors unable to park because all our spaces are used up.

How do council staff get access to car permits (inc. daily visitor permits) - any ideas?
Friday 15 June 2012 1.53pm
Best write to your councillor to get to the bottom of what the officers are up to, if indeed it is them.
Monday 18 June 2012 11.51am
Hi Beth,

I am one of your local Liberal Democrat councillors and we are always keen to help residents whenever we can.

This issue was raised at the Arnold Estate AGM in April so I immediately took it up with the Head of Housing Area Management. I was told, by him, that the council would check all the cars on the Arnold with staff permits and contact each of them individually to explain that their actions were preventing residents parking. If this didn't work he told me enforcement action would be taken.

I gather that this did improve the situation for a while, but I am concerned to hear from your post that staff seem to be using the estate for parking again. I will get back to the council urgently to ensure that further action is taken which permanently resolves the problem. I do hope that this will be helpful and please don't hesitate to contact me directly if you have any other concerns with the council.

Best wishes,
Anood

Councillor Anood Al-Samerai
Liberal Democrat Councillor for Riverside Ward
Leader of the Liberal Democrat Group
020 7525 0137 / 07947 671 849
Monday 18 June 2012 2.53pm
There should be no surprise about the reduced car use with no on-street parking allowed anywhere near the offices. This is fine for most staff as public transport is good but there are also just four parking bays for disabled staff at the offices (for 2500 staff) which means that Southwark has driven away many of its long serving (and long suffering) staff just because they are disabled. Since the move to Tooley Street there has been a disproportionate loss of disabled staff largely due to the lack of parking for those dependant on Blue Badge parking and partly because of the 'hot desking' layout which discriminates against those with mobility impairments.
Southwark say all the right things on disability but don't understand or care about the issues and actually have become more discriminating against dosabled staff ... mind the problem solves itself as disbled people are increasingly excluded from the workforce.
Monday 18 June 2012 5.35pm
When employed by s.council many moons ago and attending the various meetings as specified by the bosses, One figure sticks in my mind that 3% of the workforce had to be disabled or as I used to say not as physically able as others but still able to do a good days work.... does Southwark council adhere to that ruling I wonder?

going off subject I know! but where would they park with only 4 bays?
Tuesday 19 June 2012 4.46pm
There is no requireement for 3% disabled staff and in any case that is a low percentage compared to the population at large. The centralised print hubs, toilets, etc., and hot desking imposed on staff ia also a major barrier for employment of staff with mobility difficulties and management are totally inflexible on this issue.
Returning a bit to the issue of parking, it is interesting that these offices depend on regular servicing and deliveries in Barham Street and the authority also depends upon the quite frequent use of courier cars to get staff to meetings etc., yet have imposed further parking bans on both delivery vehicles and other cars since moving there. I noticed that the courier cars were forced to move into the adjoining estates to wait for their passengers. Demonstrating that you cannot magically ban all essential vehicles but simply disperse them to the roads around the area.
Wednesday 20 June 2012 12.23pm
Thank you Councillor Anood for your reply, and for taking this up. I didn't know that the TRA had raised this already, apologies. I have been away for a few days but I did notice this morning that it looks a little less busy further into the estate (by Drywater Flats), but the front bit (by Ronnies shop) is still full by 8.30am. I'm expecting contractors next week during the day - that wil be the test - I'll let you know.
Wednesday 11 July 2012 2.48pm
Reporting back: things are much improved - there are plenty of spaces now for visitors during the day. Many thanks to Councillor Anood - I don't know what you said/did but it appears to have worked! The Tanner Street side is still fairly packed by 9am but further into the estate it is almost back to just residents once again.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: