Jubilee Gardens

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Zoe
Saturday 16 June 2012 9.20am
What do people think about the redevelopment?
Saturday 16 June 2012 10.12am
I think it's an improvement.
Sunday 17 June 2012 12.59pm
I think itís great, the state of it before was shamefully for such a prominent location in London (bad drainage always muddy etc..)

Canít wait to have a nice picnic thereÖ.. if the sun would only permit
Zoe
Sunday 17 June 2012 1.26pm
Achk, we're never getting summer, take an umbrella and waterproof picnic blanket :-)
ood
Sunday 17 June 2012 10.34pm
Just went there tonight for a stroll. I'm disappointed. I don't like it. I was shocked at the amount of hard surface and how little space there was for sitting/hanging/picnicking out due to the flowerbeds and memorial (which I do like, but it takes up way too much space).

I don't understand the purpose of all that hard surface which seems to have been created to allow vehicles to pass through (why else have rising bollards?). A lot of the raised walls face away from the river - again, more wasted space. And you're not even allowed to scoot or skateboard on the hard surfaces! Perhaps I am missing the point of why other people use this area...

The playground looks like it will be ok for kids 5+, but hopeless for younger kids as the 'log animals' will look all the same to them and get boring after a short while. Swings may seem old hat, but they are what children enjoy, time after time. And I think the climbing logs/nets are too same-ey even for older kids. Will have to see how it actually goes when I take the children (2 and 5 there) but hmmmm... I'm not impressed.

We live within a 15 minute walk and count this play area as one of our 'local' parks.
Monday 18 June 2012 9.53pm
I saw it today and thought it was mostly good until I saw ood's post above which rightly points out there's nothing in the kids bit for very young children, which is a shame. The one's old enough to use the climbing log thing were having a great time though.
I really like the flower beds. I love that they've only used one flower and the curvy shapes are great (river surface inspired?).
The biggest problem I see though is that the wide curves of the paths leading to Belvedere Road mean people walk across the grass. Fine for now but in other weather or when it's too cold for grass to grow there's going to be a dirt track across the lawn and it will become permanent.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: