Street Harassment in Southwark

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 16 June 2012 9.25am
I am a local resident and Im carrying out some research on street harassment in Southwark (esp. Elephant & Castle).

Im looking for women of all ages who live in the area to have a chat with me over a cup of tea about their experiences (or lack of experience!) of street harassment in the borough.

No matter whether you have lots or little to say, I would love to talk to you, and your contribution will be invaluable to me!

For more information about the research, please click here: http://bit.ly/LabScF

Or email me at r.tilson-smith@lse.ac.uk

Thank you!
Saturday 16 June 2012 4.07pm
Is it only women who get harassed?

...if you press it, they will come.
Saturday 16 June 2012 4.36pm
Nope, you're right! It'd be really interesting to look at male-male, and female-male harassment, but for my research I'm looking at the gendered power relations at play within male-perpetrator/female-victim street harassment. There's only so much you can write in 10,000 words!
Saturday 16 June 2012 6.05pm
I could write 10k words on why(some) people try to represent universal problems as being only relevant to one gender, but good luck with your research.

Saturday 16 June 2012 7.58pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
I could write 10k words on why(some) people try to represent universal problems as being only relevant to one gender, but good luck with your research.

Calm down dear.

I can have a chat with you RosieTS - though, fortunately I've not experienced much street harassment in SE1 (not so for other Boroughs). I'll message you separately.
Saturday 16 June 2012 9.20pm
I could write 10k words on why(some) people try to represent universal problems as being only relevant to one gender, but good luck with your research.[i][/i]

Relevant research, I look forward to reading it.
Sunday 17 June 2012 4.10pm
C'mon guys, this is a perfectly legitimate field of enquiry - for a masters degree for heaven's sake. It's not as if Rosie has been commissioned at our expense by the police or council, where there might be more of an obligation to consider the wider terrain. I hope though that she presents them with a summary of her findings, because this sort of knowledge can only help.
Sunday 17 June 2012 6.07pm
Ivanhoe wrote:

My god Ivanhoe, what on earth do you expect; surely someone doing postgraduate study at a highly respected university shoud be entitled to take an entirely predictable, hackneyed viewpoint in the research.
Sunday 17 June 2012 6.09pm
hey_arnold wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:

Calm down dear.

I can have a chat with you RosieTS - though, fortunately I've not experienced much street harassment in SE1 (not so for other Boroughs). I'll message you separately.
Cool your jets, maybe.
Happy to apologise for taking this thread off topic with my earlier post, and also to say that (too many decades of listening to Womans Hour mean that) I'm sick of people taking an issue that affects everyone and trying to give it a new spin by making it a single gender issue.
This may very well be irrelevant to OP's research, and may well be me irrelevantly venting one of my own bugbears, but perhaps neither of us helps this thread by continuing this further?

Sunday 17 June 2012 7.48pm
Ivanhoe, thank you for pointing out that it is not just women who are on the receiving end of harassment in public places. Men can be, and of course are, victims of harassment motivated by homophobia, racism, religion, transphobia, classism, age and disability, and it is completely deplorable. With this I have no qualms.

However, any argument in which it is suggested that experiences of street harassment (the pinching, slapping, hitting, shouted remarks, vulgarity, insults, sly innuendo, ogling and stalking, that the majority of women experience on a frequent often daily basis) are equal between men and women is, I believe, lacking in a crucial understanding of the underlying power dynamics at play.

Street harassment takes place within a context of global gender inequality. It also occurs within a widespread rape culture, in which many women have a fear of being raped by male strangers in public places. Together, these two contexts perpetuate a third; a context of victim-blaming, whereby women are put at fault for the harassment they endure, rather than the men who perpetrate it.

Show me a widespread case of men falling victim to these behaviours from women or indeed other men on a frequent basis, within similar contexts, and Ill happily amend my hackneyed approach.

Marcusm. Thank you for your concern with regard to my banal approach to research. But please see above.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: