Southwark Council's Bulky Waste collection service

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 18 June 2012 2.54pm
According to Southwark Councils website I'm entitled to one collection a month of up to 15 bulky items but I can't get them to collect even one.

I've a small tree stump I dug out which is too big to go in the garden waste collection and it's not covered by any of the exclusions on their website yet they refuse to take it telling me I have to get a private contractor.

They used to collect anything. What are other people's experiences?
Monday 18 June 2012 2.58pm
They've been fine with me for used appliances etc and it is free, most councils charge.

If small then presumably portable and can be taken to the tip for free. It's near several bus routes on the Old Kent Road. http://www.southwark.gov.uk/a_to_z/service/353/rubbish_tip
Monday 18 June 2012 2.58pm
They come pick up stuff from where I am...not always on the day they say they will and sometimes you have to wait a week or so but generally for large household items it works OK
Monday 18 June 2012 8.19pm
Well, Bulky refuse don't do tree stumps under any circumstances and you really couldn't have got this on a bus, it was 4 feet tall and weighed more than me.
I prevailed upon a kindly neighbour to help me get it into the back of my car (he may never speak to me again) and drove it to the dump with no hope of ever getting it out of the car again. Happily they were really great at the dump, lugged it out of the car for me and over the wall and were cheerful and sweet, huge change from Southwark's call centre.
What you do if you don't have a car I cannot say. Set fire to it in the street I guess.
Monday 18 June 2012 11.19pm
Davies wrote:
According to Southwark Councils website I'm entitled to one collection a month of up to 15 bulky items but I can't get them to collect even one.
I've a small tree stump I dug out which is too big to go in the garden waste collection and it's not covered by any of the exclusions on their website yet they refuse to take it telling me I have to get a private contractor.

They used to collect anything. What are other people's experiences?

You are looking at the wrong service. The garden waste one is here.

Your 4 foot stump does not fit their garden waste criteria.
Tuesday 19 June 2012 9.56am
Yes - It's not as quick and fluid as it used to be - bureaucracy.
For me It took 4 emails about lengths of wood to be collected, that it needed to be in pre tied bundles, was it 3, can you confirm that, etc. However it was eventually collected.
In Devon recently it cost several pounds per item as resident so I suppose we should be glad for service.
Sympathise about an object that does not fit the criteria though.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: