Road-marking stencil for "Union Press" project

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Monday 18 June 2012 8.22pm
Dear Residents,
my name is Matilde Martinetti and I'm currently contributing to "Union Press" project (21st June - 1st July, Flat Iron Square) - www.unionpress.cc.
The title of my specific contribution is "STEREO-TYPE. Questioning stereotypes. Busting Stereo-Type. Knowing Union Street". My aim is to discover the "hidden side" of Union Street and its surroundings, people and places that have shaped and are shaping Union Streetís multifaceted identity while undermining the obvious or conventional stereotypes about the area(for example Dickensian slums). I would like to create a temporary and alternative road marking using eco-stencil (the rain will clean them!). They will show significant places such as "Red Cross Garden" or "Cross Bones Graveyard" alongside the official/tourist road marking.

I would really appreciate your help... In your opinion, is there any other place or person (from the past or the present) - a part from the 2 mentioned above - that is significant for the identity of the area? They could also be, for instance, a local shop or market struggling to face the gentrification process. What or who else is still hidden, and not part of the main road markings towards Tate Modern?
I'm collecting contribution to prepare the stencils. Then, I will be at Flat Union Square on 26th June, from 10am to 6 pm and I would be very glad if you will come to make few stencils with me. I'm at your disposal for any further information or material you may need as I will be around the area next days.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Monday 18 June 2012 9.08pm
re The hidden side of Union Street - How about Gentrification Corner?

There's a legend about a sweary ex-footballer opening a posh restaurant at the junction of Union Street and Great Suffolk Street, while telling everyone it's close to Borough Market. Apparently, it was between a Waitrose and a unicorn stables.
Monday 18 June 2012 9.40pm
Hi Matilde
For the longest time the corner building of Union Street and Southwark Bridge Road was the home of the League Against Cruel Sports. They had a nice big sign along the side of their building which was perfectly placed to catch the eyes of thousands rail commuters every day as the trains crawled over the elevated bridge. I believe they left at the end of 2008.
I miss it! Hope this helps and here's a pic (not mine)
Clive

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trailerfullofpix/2533816464/in/photostream/
Monday 18 June 2012 9.48pm
Thanks, interesting! This confirms that Bourough Market is still one of the major attractive places in the area and that the gentrification process is trying to shape the identity of the area, today. But what about a "resilient" place or person? Something that is trying to resist the gentrification? Something loved and significant for SE1rs? Any legend about it? (the inverse process)
Monday 18 June 2012 9.49pm
Thanks Clive, I will have a look!
Monday 18 June 2012 10.04pm
A great man and a much missed asset to the area is Barry Mason. A photo of Barry is attached to the gates of Cross Bones, next to a bike wheel. A tireless advocate of cycling and the Graveyard, with monthly pilgrimages. Others on this site should give you a fuller portrait, but I can't think of anyone who better to be recorded in your project. He (and Southwark Cyclists) helped the Bike Polo Tournament in Union Street (2009) from being extinguished by bureaucracy. A real local hero.
Monday 18 June 2012 10.33pm
Best thing about Red Cross Gardens is the newts in the pond. I like newts. Newts are nice.
Monday 18 June 2012 10.47pm
I have the impression that the area is characterized by a strong activist attitude...
Monday 18 June 2012 10.51pm
What abouts signs to all the amazing schools in the area! All reached just off Union Street.... And a sign to the great BOST Eco house.
Tuesday 19 June 2012 9.56am
Thanks Poppy, as BOST is also working with "Friends of Crossbones" to protect the site.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: