Escalator link at the Shard - Bus Station <--> St Thomas Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 20 June 2012 4.45pm
Since the removal of the fixed stair walk between St Thomas Street/Great Maze Pond and London Bridge Bus Station in Decemeber I have had to endure being pushed shoved tripped and generally harrassed as I try to get past the majority of passengers who seem to be travelling against me each morning and evening through London Bridge Staion.

The work was meant to be finished by the end of May according to all the posters but is still not done. Last month I emailed the address on the Lodon Bridge Quater website and received a very perfunctory response that it will be finished by the end of June - no apology or explantion for the delay forthcoming.

Passing by as I do every day I am becoming more sceptical about the end of June date. Does anyone else have any news or experience of this?
Wednesday 20 June 2012 10.24pm
I'd have thought that a stairway beside it would have been a good idea. It would not use any power so very green & can be used during maintainence of the escalators, which will be often as they will be running 24 hours a day.
That bridge to the hospital was godsend for avoiding traffic on St Thomas St which will be opened up again I'm sure.
( lots of wills )
Thursday 21 June 2012 7.19am
I think we'd all be happy with either steps or an escalator, I'd probably have a go at a ladder. It really is rather challenging without the bridge/steps and presumably it will just get more busy once the Shard and little Shard are occupied. I too agree that end of June appears rather wishful thinking!
Thursday 21 June 2012 9.04am
I have emailed them again to get an update on when it may be ready...will let you know.
Tuesday 26 June 2012 9.47am
I received this yesterday.....they are going to have their work cut out to get these opeartional and open for public use by next Monday!

Thank you for your email.

The latest information I have from the Contractor is that the commissioning of the escalators between London Bridge Street and Joiner Street will be at the end of June, so they are ready to be used by the public beginning of July.

Kind regards

Wednesday 4 July 2012 9.49am
Escalators turned on yesterday

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 4 July 2012 10.09am
They were indeed....and make it much easier to get around now....although Network Rail have an Olympic Test going on on Tuesday 10th July and parts of London Bridge Station will again be closed and limited access only will be avaialable.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: