Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 21 June 2012 6.46pm
Had a good day and decided to take advantage of a drink at Browns - it is good there as you can actually sit outside on the right side and not breath in the smoke.
On arrival the doors are closed and was told that there were not enough staff to serve in the area. So offered to carry the drinks from the bar - as you need to do sometimes at Browns - normally in winter- I have no issue with carrying drinks.
However - told that would encourage others to sit there who would expect service.
After suggesting that 'others' may be good for business was told that actually the area was not designated for non-smokers (I am allergic) and never has been.
Can anyone confirm my recollection over the past 5 or so years from visiting Browns - that that area has been non-smoking - which is why it is a great place for taking the kids also.
1 Not having enough staff to service an area that has a specific proposition.
2 Simple use of a measure will show that the distances are equal when servicing the two areas.
3 The service is geared to the staff and not the customer.
4 The area as far as I recall is a no smoking area - so why say it is not.
Less money into Browns till and more in my pocket.

If you have a view the person responsible is called Shani and I will check his statements with the owners.

I guess the Olympics will provide rich pickings for places along the river - and guess they will be more welcoming afterwards ads is the case when the tourists vanish each year.

Guess who won't be experiencing you service from now on!
Saturday 23 June 2012 12.32pm
I'm also sure it was split into sides for smoking and non.

Service outside has always been poor though. Complained once via letter to head office, and to be fair they then gave us a free meal...unfortunately though the food is always really poor, so that was the last time we went. Shame for what should be a great place that it's such a let down.
Sunday 16 September 2012 1.53pm
I decided to give Browns a try today after a break of a few months, and it didn't take long for me to remember why I hadn't been for a while!

As pointed out the service is painfully slow (even though it was practically empty). The staff seldom make eye contact so you can't ever get their attention. The teapot had brown streaks and the strainer wasn't clean. Worst of all, the cup and saucer were still wet (i.e. they had been washed but not dried!). It's a shame that a place with brilliant views is just so bad, and I guess the fact that it was virtually empty suggests that other people have cottoned on.
Sunday 16 September 2012 9.05pm
A relation worked as a manager of Browns for years - it's best to contact their head office with any complaints.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: