Spurgeon Street Illegal Hotel

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Friday 22 June 2012 8.19pm
Does anyone know more details about the attempt to build a hotel with no planning permission on Spurgeon street?
Saturday 23 June 2012 12.00am
Wow, interesting! Odd spot. More details? Where do you think the 'illegal' hotel would actually be built/be occupied?
Saturday 23 June 2012 11.57am
Is it this one?
I passed by today and the doors were open and it looks like it's in business
Saturday 23 June 2012 2.01pm
southwark planning dept have, in the past, approved unauthorised works/changes of use/developemnts, when the application is likely to be approved. that is, likely to be approved by the planning department and/or councillros who get to do what the planning department advises them to. even if the local community is totally against the proposal.
go. figure.
Saturday 23 June 2012 3.45pm
Ah, interestng -- too bad they can't improve the exterior of the building. So ugly...
Wednesday 27 June 2012 3.19pm
This is the reply I got from Councillor Tim McNally

Cllr Poddy Clark got an enforcement and stop notice served on this hotel. They have now appealed to the inspectorate

According to the reviews its been in business since May
I called them last night and they only had one vacant room so definitely up and running and no evidence at all of planning permission.
Wednesday 27 June 2012 5.45pm
So it's an office conversion rather than an illicit newbuild? Generally I'm all for planning procedures being upheld but not sure that halfway down Great Dover Street this is an egregious breach. There was never going to be a Hilton there and I can't imagine a disused commercial building as being preferable for neighbours.

Borough could do with a bigger supply of decent budget hotel rooms - as (being in a one-bedroom flat) I discover each time I need to put up a visiting relative.
Friday 29 June 2012 12.05am
I think you will find Boroman that planning laws apply to the whole of the SE1 area and it is not more or less egregious just because it happens to be 'halfway down Great Dover Street'
Friday 29 June 2012 7.28am
I'm a bit surprised at how bold they are being, but then if the council is likely to agree it after the fact they were probably confident they would be able to carry on. Presumably they had to do lots of conversion works, I'm surprised complaints weren't made then.

I'm not sure why Great Dover Street in particular deserves to have it's planning rules waived, it's a perfectly nice street! It's also not that cheap a stay (the hostel up the road is cheaper Boroman, and has a women's only section, or during the summer the halls of residence are very good).
Friday 29 June 2012 8.51am
I live next door and have been trying to figure out what they have been up to there for a few months, and am surprise they didn’t try to convert this to flats as I think they will go for a good price.

In any case, the issues is not with a hotel (although I would be concern if next step is to convert the roof to a bar!) but with the disregarded for planning permission.

We should not support people who break the law knowingly and have a total disregard for the rest of the community. Those people should suffer significant financial losses so that they learn….
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: