Parking Permits and Fines

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 23 April 2002 9.29am
Does anyone else have the problem of parking their car in an on-street residents parking place, leaving it for a few days, and then discovering that the bay has been suspeneded and you've been given a ticket? This has happened to me twice now, and I'm really frustrated. Despite a letter to the parking office, which made me feel better, but met with a complete stonewall, how can I find out when they are going to suspend bays. And how much notice should they give? 24 hours seems unreasonable to me.
Tuesday 23 April 2002 2.20pm
I find that trying to complain about a ticket is difficult as few of the staff at the "Parking Shop" speak good English, I have also had this problem with the council.
Tuesday 23 April 2002 2.49pm
death to all traffic wardens
Tuesday 23 April 2002 5.21pm
My husband was more or less acused of being a racist when he asked to speak to someone at the council who spoke and understood English . However, if he had not spoken English they would have provided a translator.....
Wednesday 24 April 2002 8.06am
7525-2195..... was number I rang with similar problems..
and it's not racist to ask for someone to be put on the phone who is able to deal with your enquiry. you wanna try phoning social services.... if you were aged and hard of hearing you would never be able to understand what they are saying.
There are a few people out there who have a good command of the english language and understand what you are saying, unfortunately not many.
Wednesday 24 April 2002 8.44am
It needs a bit of research and sneakiness, but in extremis, you can get stuff done.

a) find which department your council non-dealer-with belongs to.
b)call 7525 5000 and find the director's name and email. You are entitled to know the director - if they won't confirm the email, then they are usually in the form
c)email the director with your specific complaint - especially if you get the 'racist' card played
d)back it up with a letter to him/her at Southwark Town Hall. It takes time & effort, but I've never known it fail.
Wednesday 24 April 2002 11.29am
that was a handy tip, but it is not actually illegal to be racist to someone who is british as we are not a minority
Thursday 25 April 2002 5.30am
interesting point David....I'm gonna try that when I get inadequate service....

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: