Best Butchers!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 26 June 2012 10.37am
Hey Guys,

Need to top up the protein levels and struggling to find places that sell good quality meat around here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Tuesday 26 June 2012 11.29am
I'm Vegetarian so cannot comment from experience but my Father always uses the Butchers in Great Suffolk Street and recommends them
Tuesday 26 June 2012 12.13pm
I'll second that recommendation.

They also sell good cheese and eggs.
Tuesday 26 June 2012 1.09pm
There does seem to be a dearth of decent butchers in SE1 - I'd love for a good one to take over one of the empty units in the Bermondsey Market Square off Southwark Park Road.

Anyone know whether what looks to be a trade-only butcher on Crimscott St sells to the public at any time?
Jac
Tuesday 26 June 2012 2.15pm
Yorkie wrote:
There does seem to be a dearth of decent butchers in SE1 - I'd love for a good one to take over one of the empty units in the Bermondsey Market Square off Southwark Park Road.
Anyone know whether what looks to be a trade-only butcher on Crimscott St sells to the public at any time?

Yes they do sell to the public, the meat is good far better than the supermarkets and cheaper. But there is nothing on display so you need to know what you want although the guys are very helpful. Only other problem is that they are only open in the morning on weekdays.
Tuesday 26 June 2012 3.28pm
Agree with the Great Suffolk Street call - the "for sale" tray as they start shutting up on Saturday can yield terrific bargains, if you're happy to take pot luck.

At the other end of the scale (and SE1), give Nathan Mills at the Butchery at Spa Terminus a try, (off Spa Road). He has moved with some of the originals fromMaltby Street . We had a fantastic rib-eye steak from him.

But this weekend, it's Sunday roast from Fabienne at Galileo Organic Farm, at the Saturday Bermondsey Square Farmers' Market (10am-2pm).

Spoilt for choice, if you think about it (and I haven't even mentioned Borough Market!) !

ps . Also second Crimscott Street. Go, if you can, to RS Ashby, for the experience, as well as the quality meat (ex-Leadenhall Market in the City). Just doesn't work for me in the mornings.
Tuesday 26 June 2012 3.50pm
I'm always looking for a decent butcher too. Ashby's seems interesting but I would always be at work when they're open. There isn't a decent butcher that isn't halal within a mile of me currently
ADT
Tuesday 26 June 2012 4.08pm
Would also recommend the Gt Suffolk Street butchers. Due to a mostly vegetarian wife I don't go there as regularly as I would like but when I do (which is often for special occasions/big family meals) the meat is always excellent.
Tuesday 26 June 2012 7.45pm
Wholeheartedly agree with Ceity slicker re the Nathen, his brother et al at the Butchery. Great beef.
Tuesday 26 June 2012 8.39pm
Buntings on Peckham Park Road, just off OKR. I'm afraid they are not SE1 (SE15) but worth a look if you're going to B&Q. Funny how you get loyal to a butcher, I feel guilty if I go anywhere else! Great produce (quite a lot of Breton produce as well as English) but also the guys in there are really pleasant and always up for a yarn ;-)
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: