St John's Churchyard

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 26 June 2012 12.33pm
Does anyone know what exactly is going on in St John's Churchyard? (between Druid Street, Fair Street and Tower Bridge Road)

It seems to be taking and extraordinary amount of time to do very little.

Southwark's website, list it under "Current Projects" but the latest they have on their is about the consultation period which will [sic] end in May 2011.

I miss walking through it, just interested to know what's going on.
Tuesday 26 June 2012 12.36pm
I spoke to the council press office about this earlier today, as the work has taken a very long time and the lack of information about the delay is conspicuous.

The notices at the entrances to the churchyard give 1 June (!) as the new completion date.

The press office tells me that the revised timetable for reopening the park will be decided at a meeting this week and they should be able to give us an update on Friday.

Watch this space!

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 26 June 2012 12.50pm
Thanks James.

Let's see what happens.
Tuesday 26 June 2012 1.07pm
it would seem that local youths have become impatient and have decided to 'unofficially' open the park ahead of schedule!
Thursday 28 June 2012 8.18am
they were late last time as well, should have gone to ...
Saturday 14 July 2012 11.06am
It has finally reopened.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 11 August 2012 3.03pm
I have followed the “developments” in St John Churchyard on daily basis.

Out of the 3 and half months they kept the park closed the contractors have worked circa 1 week in separate days some days only few hours and the most of the time 3-5 people.

How the council justifies the £145,000 spent on this “improvement”?
Zoe
Saturday 11 August 2012 3.28pm
I can see where the money went, but not sure I'm super keen on the design. However it might grow on us.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: