Assault on Bermondsey St Thursday night

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 30 June 2012 1.58pm
I am writing this on behalf of a female friend, who was assaulted at 1am Friday morning on Bermondsey St.(in front of the White Cube gallery)
She was walking home alone, when a man (30-40yrs, dark hair, short and stocky) approached her and tried to rip off her top. She managed to fight him off and started screaming, which made him run off.

He wasn't trying to steal anything off her, and I am wondering what is happening to the area lately, with the muggings and now this.

This is quite unsettling and I thought I share this, in case someone else had a similar experience and also just to make everyone aware that this can happen.
I have walked home on my own on so many times at all kind of hours, and luckily have never had a problem, but I will definitely be more vigilant and not walk home alone anymore.
Saturday 30 June 2012 9.46pm
that's sounds awful and really frightening. did she report it to the police? I hope she feels better after such an ordeal
Sunday 1 July 2012 12.13pm
Please make sure your friend reports this to the police and I hope that she is doing ok.
Sunday 1 July 2012 3.55pm
Please if your friend hasn't reported this, then encourage her to. 30 years ago I had a similar incident, I didn't report it that night, you just feel lucky you got away unharmed. A week later I picked the paper and my attackers face was front page, he had attacked and raped a 14 yr old walking home from swimming. God knows I felt so guilty, like I'd helped him. I did go to the police then and reported it, they assured me that my reporting my incident wouldn't have saved the girl from her ordeal, and the same man went on to attack two more women before being caught.
But I have still always have that guilty feeling when I remember.
Sunday 1 July 2012 11.44pm
That isn't much of a description to go on. There have been a few rapes recently down The Blue though & all this is extremely worrying
Monday 2 July 2012 6.41am
Thank you all for your kind words, I will pass them on. I advised her on Friday to report it and she did. The police said they would stop by and take notes for the report.

I will try and get a more precise description from her and post it.

105pear, I am sorry to hear that you had a similar experience, how awful.
Sidney: what/ where is The Blue? how worrying indeed.
Monday 2 July 2012 8.36am
Please be careful that the details you post don't prejudice the chances of a trial and conviction down the line.

James Hatts: could you please provide some guidance to the forum readers/writers as to what they can/can't say. As helpful as it is to have schnake's general warning for people to be careful, it would be awful if a defence team was able to claim that their client won't get a fair trial as the result of things people have reported here.
Monday 2 July 2012 9.43am
schnake - the Blue is the shopping/retail area on Southwark Park Road:

http://www.visitmap2.co.uk/sites/clients/bermondsey/detailpage.php?pid=1
Monday 2 July 2012 1.36pm
schnake wrote:
She managed to fight him off and started screaming, which made him run off.

Please tell you friend a ‘thank you’ for sending a clear message to that guy and hopefully putting him off attacking people in the future. Well done for combating the guy, succeeding in fighting him off, scaring him ... a lesson for everybody: self-defence knowledge and attitude is important to have and to teach our children. Not allowing those bastards to make us victims.

I hope she recovers from this shock well and will feel safe in the knowledge that she can defend herself and go out and enjoy life.
Tuesday 3 July 2012 12.53pm
schnake wrote:
Thank you all for your kind words, I will pass them on. I advised her on Friday to report it and she did. The police said they would stop by and take notes for the report.
I will try and get a more precise description from her and post it.

105pear, I am sorry to hear that you had a similar experience, how awful.
Sidney: what/ where is The Blue? how worrying indeed.

your friend is lucky to have a good friend like you in her corner, she nay have fought him off but will still feel vulnerable but angry at the same time. Took years for me not to feel my stomach jump if I heard footsteps behind me,
glad she has reported it, for all we know she might not be the first, and though victims reporting incidents the police can build up a pattern which helps catch these inhuman b*****ds (sorry no other word fits).
The rape on Southwark park road was a black guy an artists impression is on Southwark news website.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: