Motorbike noise? Reporting?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 1 July 2012 8.52pm
Not to start another bike-related war here, but is there a way to report moto riders who travel too fast -- and make way too much noise (gunning engines) -- through residential areas? Not only are they an appalling noise nuisance, but they are also dangerous to children.
Sunday 1 July 2012 9.16pm
Probably best to film them: that should allow you to capture noise, speed and most importantly - their number plate.
Zoe
Monday 2 July 2012 6.38am
Get your local safer neighbourhood team involved, they are great at dealing with things like this.
Monday 2 July 2012 6.41am
Call police, they are not road legal, supposed to be ridden on private land, warm weather brings them out.
Monday 2 July 2012 8.15am
Exhausts aren't road legal if they make over a certain amount of noise. And speeding, of course, is also illegal.

If you're having recurrent problems with the same bike(s), then you might be able to get the police to deal with it.

(Using a camera will do you no good, unless you're using it to persuade the police to get involved. Your own camera can't be used to PROVE either excessive speed or excessive noise.)

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 2 July 2012 8.19am
105pear wrote:
Call police, they are not road legal, supposed to be ridden on private land, warm weather brings them out.

I *think* James' post refers to full sized m/cs on the road, not minimotos, although, of course, I could be wrong.

In fact, reading the OP again, perhaps it does refer to people riding minibikes on the pavements. Otherwise, the comment about danger to children would appear to be a gratuitous attempt to hype up the danger in the fashion of a Sun headline writer. (I assume they are just as much of a danger to fluffy kittens, war heroes, and old ladies.)

Tuesday 3 July 2012 1.04pm
We have had a similar problem, both with the mini ones and stolen vespas and the police have had some success both in arresting perpetrators and seizing vehicles.
just keep reporting the incidents so the police do understand the problem and they will respond. If you know who or can get licence numbers can help too.
Tuesday 3 July 2012 2.19pm
If there's loud "gunning" of engines, that would imply James' trouble is with geared bikes rather than scooters, I'd guess.

It's hard to make "an appalling noise" "gunning" an modern automatic scooter engine.

Tuesday 3 July 2012 6.07pm
We reported a very noisy bike that rode down The Cut every morning making a dreadful noise; enough to wake residents on the fourth floor. The police monitored and stopped the bike and it turned out to be something rare and wonderful (whatever!)and the police were really excited. The rider had no idea his (naturally) loud bike was waking people up and so he changed his route. Perhaps it's him, so please don't send him back in our direction!
Tuesday 3 July 2012 7.08pm
Interesting. There is a road legal decibel limit. If the bike was in excess of that, I'd expect the police to act.
I assume this bike was road legal (unless there are exemptions for vintage bikes)

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network