Good places for different cuisine ingredients

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Saturday 7 July 2012 3.19pm
I just wondered if anyone had any recommendations for interesting independent shops locally for hard to find ingredients? (not borough or malt by) I schlepped all the way to bethnal green today to go to Casa Mexico (brilliant btw) and used to go to Damascus in west London. I enjoy experimenting with different cuisines, Are there any local favorites out there for you? I notice a lot of African and Brazilian places around but not sure what is worth a visit. Or what would be good recipes, I quite like chatting to people for their advice in the shops. So somewhere with a helpful proprietor is always welcome.
Saturday 7 July 2012 3.39pm
How about a trip to Peckham to Persepolis for Persian ingredients. Or Ev in Isabella St, nr Southwark Tube for Turkish.
Saturday 7 July 2012 5.57pm
I was thinking of Persepolis when I was reading the OP. Run by couple- Iranian man and English woman, both extremely helpful. I got very detailed instructions on how to make dolma when buying vine leaves there.
Saturday 7 July 2012 6.56pm
Thanks. I have never been there. Will venture
Saturday 7 July 2012 8.48pm
For a good description of Persopolis and other shopping opportunities in our area do go to this website:

www.theskintfoodie.com

Apart from wonderful recipes, he gives valuable shopping tips. One of the best food blogs I know. Thanks to him I discovered Persopolis and the shop is super!
Sunday 8 July 2012 9.57am
Latino shops upstairs at Elephant Shopping Centre, Elephant Rd and arches by Strata; African, Turkish, Chinese, Brazilian on Walworth Rd.
Sunday 8 July 2012 1.28pm
Can you suggest good, cheap Brazilian?
Sunday 8 July 2012 4.28pm
Yeah bring on the wax....I can handle it! :-)

( my attempt at feeble humour sunday afternoon!)
Sunday 8 July 2012 6.17pm
Jan the old one wrote:
Yeah bring on the wax....I can handle it! :-)
( my attempt at feeble humour sunday afternoon!)

Haha, that is very funny coming from you! Had a good chuckle.
Sunday 8 July 2012 6.48pm
Let me clarify: SE1 shops with Brasilian ingredients! :)
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: