Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 9 July 2012 4.41am
Has anyone else noticed the seagulls around the river areas lately?
I haven't been aware of them this much since the 70's.
There's not many but they make that familiar swark
Monday 9 July 2012 9.50am
My guess is there is a lot more easy food in the area with the increase in tourist numbers. They usually hang out on the Millennium bridge giving you the evil eye. Also, I see we have mating pairs of ducks with an interloper hanging round in the background.
Monday 9 July 2012 12.36pm
I love the seagulls with their evil eye. Their "guano" probably does some damage, I quite like their screeching though. I got woken up by it on Saturday, which made a difference from the bin collectors or loud "revellers" on their way home.
Monday 9 July 2012 12.57pm
Back home and similarly here I think... there are two main reasons for having seagull far from the sea:

1) Scavenging. rubbish left around or stored.

2) Really bad weather on the coast. They normally move inside the mainland. Next day or whenever the storm has passed you see less of them, as they return to the coast
Monday 9 July 2012 1.14pm
Gulls can drink saltwater because of two salt eliminating glands in their heads. The Thames in London is saltwater.
Tuesday 24 July 2012 11.36pm
Saw this the other day:

It's probably the first time ever I saw a fish in this part of the river...
Wednesday 25 July 2012 11.45am
I walked a dog on the shingle a couple of years ago and she fished a huge eel out. Won't be too long before the otters are back at Tower Bridge.
Wednesday 25 July 2012 2.19pm
2 really noisy ones at Guy's Hospital this morning around 7.10 letting the whole world know of their presence.
Wednesday 25 July 2012 2.53pm
The noisiest gulls I eve came across was in Rye. They started really early in the morning and there were tens of them. I still didn't mind. It's a nostalgic thing I guess.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: