Pavements

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 10 July 2012 1.03pm
GOOD NEWS!
Des Waters is to make sure that the unobstructed area of all our pavements will be at least 1.2 metrea wide (londonSE1 5 July 2012).
Please make sure you check Shad Thames, Des!
Thanks in advance.
Tuesday 10 July 2012 1.29pm
He can go tell that to the dicks that stand outside the Kings Arms on Newcomen Street.
Tuesday 10 July 2012 2.14pm
The A boards on Leathermarket Street are a joke for access outside The Leather Exchange and The Leathermarket cafe....there isn't even 1.2m width of pavement without the boards
Tuesday 10 July 2012 3.02pm
Outside the Market Porter, Stoney Street
Tuesday 10 July 2012 3.05pm
What qualifies as 'unobstructed' then? People being outside somewhere seem to be considered by some of the above as an 'obstruction'....what about people waiting for the bus?
Tuesday 10 July 2012 4.53pm
They don't have to block the whole pavement when they wait for a bus. I've seen people nearly hit by cars going into the road because the brain-dead outside The Kings Arms leave no pavement clear.
Tuesday 10 July 2012 5.07pm
Just measuring the width of the handlebars on my Brompton.
Tuesday 10 July 2012 6.46pm
Can I suggest you write to Cllr Barrie Hargrove. I did last night, and got a reply this morning. He had already heard of the problem area I reported, but wasn't aware of the extent to which the businesses take up space on the public highway.
Tuesday 10 July 2012 7.02pm
The council has already issued notices to all the businesses on Stoney Street ordering them to clear the pavements for the Olympics.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 10 July 2012 10.27pm
beetroot wrote:
They don't have to block the whole pavement when they wait for a bus. I've seen people nearly hit by cars going into the road because the brain-dead outside The Kings Arms leave no pavement clear.

Some do though. I'd say I walk past crowds at bus-stops more often than I do crowds outside pubs at the moment (maybe to do with the weather).

I know what you mean about the Kings Arms, and it is especially bad as it it right where the road (and pavement) narrows, so there is even less room for manoeuvre. The other one I notice is the pub by Flat Iron Square (forget the name), where people spill out in to the end of the cycle lane quite often in the evening.

But it is one of life's little pleasures standing outside a pub on a sunny day, beer in hand. Obviously some consideration should be shown, particularly where space is so limited, but I'm sure an immovable bollard is more of a concern that a tipsy pub-goer who can at least be moved out of the way.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: