Noisy Train?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 12 July 2012 11.20am
Hello all,

Very occasionally, a loud and bright train crawls past my window in the middle of the night (I look out over the line out of London Bridge, just before it crosses Southwark Park Road).

I don't mind it waking me up at 4am, it's very rare and the railway line was there when I moved in (unlike the 24 hour shop downstairs and its antisocial staff, but never mind...) but I'm curious as to what it is.

I'd say it took about 20 minute to do the couple of hundred yards from appearing over by St James Street to disappearing off to the bridge. Maybe two or three carriages long, lit, with windows, a little taller than a normal train, and silvery/grey in colour. Very loud, and bleeping a bit.

A colleague suggested hazardous waste, but I don't see why that would be so slow or so noisy - and certainly not why it would have windows. My theory was that it's some sort of "vacuum cleaner train" run down now and again to get debris off the line, but I've never heard of such a thing before.

Or it's just something I dream now and again and I wasn't awake at all...
Thursday 12 July 2012 11.26am
Could it be yellow rather than silver/grey?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Measurement_Train

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 12 July 2012 11.40am
I know that train! Not quite as nice and shiny as the one in james' link, but defintely yellow-y coloured, crawls along and is very noisy, ususally accompanied by a gang of workmen shouting very loudly to each other - presumably clearing rubish off the tracks. On the plus side it only happens a couple of times each year. I once loked out the window to see what was going on and the train driver smiled and waved at me - weird.
Thursday 12 July 2012 12.30pm
Possibly! I was mostly asleep but it looked taller and blockier than that. Maybe if it happens again I'll take a photo.

Cheers.
Thursday 12 July 2012 12.51pm
I could be a grinder, which re-surfaces the tracks, but please post a photo.
Thursday 12 July 2012 8.09pm
I heard it too! Really noisy. I did take a peek and it appeared like they might be fixing something. I felt sorry for the eight men walking along behind it!
Thursday 12 July 2012 11.23pm
That's the clunker! Been chatted about on here before. Goes past ours too but not for a while

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: