Trying to find fresh sage

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 14 July 2012 5.09pm
I live near Shad Thames and am trying to find fresh sage for a recipe and have had no luck. Tried M&S, La Pont de Tour deli, Borough Market. Has anyone seen it anywhere?

Thanks,
Anne
Saturday 14 July 2012 5.21pm
There is loads growing in The Gateway Centre on Lancaster Street SE1 and also lots of other community food growing projects. What can be better than picking it yourself, pop into one, I am sure they would give you some in exchange for some weeding or a small donation.
Saturday 14 July 2012 5.51pm
Try booths (or whatever theyre now called) on druid street. Saturdays until 3ish. If they don't have it, they'll probably know where you can get it.
Saturday 14 July 2012 6.12pm
Just seen it in Tesco Tooley St. 80p a bag (30grams) or 2 for 1. They had 3 bags left.
Saturday 14 July 2012 7.08pm
Might pop to gateway centre to get some tips on growing sage.
Can't get it to flourish on balcony

...if you press it, they will come.
Sunday 15 July 2012 12.23pm
I put some in last year from cuttings Ivanhoe, and oddly enough it grew quite well in pot but when transferring it has disappeared, the mint is taking over nearby, but the thyme has dwindled.. the rosemary looks a bit limp, wonder if it's the rain?
Sunday 15 July 2012 12.32pm
Have you planted the mint directly in the ground, Jan? Oh dear....
Monday 16 July 2012 7.38am
I did beetroot...:-( the word cretin..moron comes to mind! I suppose when I can manage to get out into the strip that passes for a garden now it will smell nice...another mistake I made was planting aquilega and fox gloves...I now have seedlings everywhere...oh yes and another great mistake I made was planting lemon balm thats so free seeding ...and when it gets established it was so hard to remove and flipping tough!
Monday 16 July 2012 9.53am
We've killed about 5 sage plants, Jan. They might have an initial flourish, but they always end up dead. Other herbs grown in the same window box will do fine, but sage never works.

I'm guessing that they like a particular type of soil/drainage/whatever?

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 17 July 2012 8.16pm
We must be lucky with herbs, all doing well, particularly the sage and rosemary. even the oregano has self seeded. Anyway, we have quite a bit and recently cut it down. Depending on how much you want we may be able to spare some. PM me, Anne B. We are on Grange rd
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network