Road works Embargo. Hole-impics

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 17 July 2012 9.43am
So... There is an embargo on any roadworks during this Hole-impics games.
A very noisy and dangerously loose 'carriageway three' (3 manhole covers) was reported to TfL 7th June. Junction Duchy/Stamford st SE1.
And many many calls and e-mails later they passed my complaint to Jacob Ringway (red route maintenance) Promised to repair/make safe. Didn't.. Many calls... Eventually told me it belongs to Cable and Wireless. Several calls. Blokey told me last Mon they were going to repair it.
Didn't. Seems the brick walls in said access hole are crumbling. I told them I hold them responsible for any accidents if and when the blasted thing collapses. My instinct was to call C&W in the first place. Didn't.
So.... Unless there is an emergency, all those potholes/loose covers etc will be left until after the O'Limpics has finished.
So... I feel I may have to make a video. Or go and lie down in the road till noon day comes.
Tuesday 17 July 2012 11.20am
Many, many terrible potholes in the eastbound cycle lane on Tooley ST. Some cyclist is going to get killed.
Tuesday 17 July 2012 9.03pm
Have you seen the ones on St Thomas Street, had a couple of scary incidents during the rain, one of the holes is massive.
Wednesday 18 July 2012 12.16pm
If you call the Council and quote "health and safety" they are obliged to do something as they have been warned it's a potential accident waiting to happen.

I did this down Bermondsey Street and they came out within 3 hrs.
Of course, this might have changed because of the games.
Wednesday 18 July 2012 12.45pm
Section 58 of the Highway Act 1980 provides the main defence for councils:

Highways Act 1980 wrote:
that it is not liable for the consequences of a matter if it can prove that 'such care as in all the circumstances was reasonably required to secure that part of the highway, to which the action relates was not dangerous for traffic'

Which broadly means the councils cannot be held liable for accidents caused by poor maintenance if they didn't know about a fault and/or could not be reasonably expected to know. They are obliged to regularly inspect pavements and carriageways and the heavier the usage the more often they'd be expected to do so.

My understanding of the various Traffic Orders and other regulations in place around the Olympic Road Network and in London in 2012 in general, only non-emergency work is banned.

Therefore it would be for the council to judge whether a reported fault is likely to cause an accident and therefore whether or not emergency work is justified.

It would be for a court to decide, if you for example damaged your car or your person, if the council's decision not to carry out works was reasonable.
Saturday 21 July 2012 4.20pm
It has taken 6 weeks to finally get these covers replaced. They belong to Cable and Wireless (who should have called directly in the first place).
The TFL liars kept saying they would do something. And several visits from the clueless Ringway Jacobs TFL contractors. "We sit in a van and then do EF all"
They promise to make it secure at night, but didn't.
This must of cost thousands to sort out.
The C&W bloke was helpful, and did wonder how I got his name! They had to apply to Lambeth council to get this repaired as an emergency. 6 weeks later.. it has finally been remedied. I have made a video at night of the blasted thing.
No other residents could be arsed to complain...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: