Olympic Lanes

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Monday 23 July 2012 9.13am
I'm looking frantically for a map of Olympic Lanes, so as to plan my journeys. No luck on the web at all. Am I being hopeless, or is it all a secret?
Monday 23 July 2012 9.18am
So long as you stay on this side of the river you'll be fine - the only 'games lane' in SE1 is Westminster Bridge.

Details at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/orn

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 23 July 2012 9.26am
Thing is, every weekday from next week Im going to have to take my grandchildren to pickup point in Victoria at 8.00 am. I was planning to go from the E&C, past the Imperial War Museum turn left and over Lambeth Bridge, into Horseferry Road. Will that work?
Monday 23 July 2012 9.40am
Currently there is a sign by the hotel on Lambeth Road as you approach the south side of Lambeth bridge which says to turn left for Westminster. I take this to to mean that they are going to shut Lambeth Bridge and divert all traffic along the Albert Embankment round Vauxhall Cross and over Vauxhall Bridge. Hopefully I'm wrong but there was some frantic workman activity going on at that roundabout yesterday.

If I were you, I'd go Newington Butts, Kennington Lane, round Vauxhall, over Vauxhall bridge and up to Victoria that way.
Monday 23 July 2012 10.31am
TfL has maps.

This interactive one seems overloaded at the moment:

staging.getaheadofthegames.com/travelinaffectedareas/city/london-temporary-road-changes.html

But the pdf available from here is accessible:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/18196.aspx
Monday 23 July 2012 12.40pm
There is a black cab demo today at 3-30 re the olympic lanes centred around tower bridge this side of the river will go round Druid street then back over bridge so be prepared for traffic chaos
Monday 23 July 2012 12.43pm
James Hatts wrote:
So long as you stay on this side of the river you'll be fine - the only 'games lane' in SE1 is Westminster Bridge.
Details at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/orn

Except that on road event days, the ORN is rerouted down Kennington Lae, Newington Butts, E&C roundabout, New Kent Road then TBR!!! That's 5&12 August and a day in September for te Paralympics. I realise those are Sundays but nonetheless, expect some lane closures and parking suspensions - I imagine single yellows will be non parking on those days (Kennington Lane affected) plus presumably the red route on NKR and TBR will preclude the short term parking/loading spots.
Monday 23 July 2012 12.46pm
Traffic across Westminster Bridge was at a standstill this morning thanks to the lane closures and banned turns around Parliament Square. Traffic on Lambeth Bridge didn't look like it was flowing an awful lot better. If I didn't have a blister I'd have walked to work in Victoria!
Monday 23 July 2012 12.46pm
Yes, but it's important to stress that the alternative ORN south of the river on those two days doesn't include any segregated 'games lanes', so you're not in danger of being fined if you stay into the wrong lane.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 23 July 2012 3.17pm
Zappomatic wrote:
Traffic across Westminster Bridge was at a standstill this morning thanks to the lane closures and banned turns around Parliament Square.

Agreed. Why have they closed (yes. Closed it. Not made it a Games Lane. Just closed it.) one lane over the bridge? A completely stupid idea, which only pales into insignificance when you see what they've done outside Buck Palace.

The really daft thing is that there's been no indication that any of this was going to happen. I travel on that route every weekday, and there have been no signs with specific details (just the general "Oh, the traffic's going to be all to cock for the games. Visit our stupid website which doesn't really have enough detail to show you anything at all" message that's up all over town).

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: