Opening Ceremony - anything in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
ADT
Monday 23 July 2012 12.48pm
Does anyone know if anything is happening along the river/at Tower Bridge during the opening ceremony? Fireworks/lightshow etc.? Is the big screen at Potters Fields going to show the opening ceremony? Cannot find much detail online for this.
Monday 23 July 2012 1.52pm
Don't think Potters Fields open until the Saturday. There are screens (and free cheese) in the Swiss House though, and the torch will be coming up the river in the afternoon en route to the stadium, stopping off at BJ's place for a bit.
Monday 23 July 2012 1.57pm
A bit of a trek from Tower Bridge, but there's a big screen event in Waterloo.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Zoe
Monday 23 July 2012 5.43pm
It's also critical mass on the 27th, it's their normal date but coinciding with the olympic opening.

Can't compete with the free cheese though.
Monday 23 July 2012 7.19pm
I have heard that LOCOG will be unveiling a series of commemorative statues around London (Southwark Included). The statue is in bronze, and depicts Seb Coe standing beneath the McGolden Arches. In one outstretched hand he is holding wads of cash, whilst the other hand is held aloft in a traditional two fingered salute. The inscription at the bottom is in Latin and reads [/i]Manere De Ludos Venellam Proles[i]
A fitting tribute.
ADT
Tuesday 24 July 2012 11.10am
Thanks James and The Dentist - free cheese might just swing it, plus it is on my way home from work :-)

Pieces of Eight - you need a separate Olympic griping thread. I was planning to enjoy the show whilst it is in my home town.
Tuesday 24 July 2012 11.54am
ADT wrote:
Thanks James and The Dentist - free cheese might just swing it, plus it is on my way home from work :-)
Pieces of Eight - you need a separate Olympic griping thread. I was planning to enjoy the show whilst it is in my home town.

And I hope you enjoy every minute of it ADT. However it's good to have alternative viewpoints-it's called discourse.
If we just had threads where everybody agreed with each other, how boring would that be? BTW, are we sure that we can use the word O*****c in this thread without Coe's Stasi approval?
Tuesday 24 July 2012 12.13pm
A bit of fun:

Boris Johnson's Olympic Welcome

Best bit @ 1:06, imho.
ADT
Tuesday 24 July 2012 4.10pm
PofE - I am, what concerns did you have? You're not exactly selling anything, are you? Nothing to do with Coe or 2012 either, other than the fact that they pulled 'London 2012' etc. in with the other protected words - restrictions on use of the Olympic symbols/related protected words have been around for ages.
Tuesday 24 July 2012 4.28pm
ADT wrote:
PofE - I am, what concerns did you have? You're not exactly selling anything, are you? Nothing to do with Coe or 2012 either, other than the fact that they pulled 'London 2012' etc. in with the other protected words - restrictions on use of the Olympic symbols/related protected words have been around for ages.

The concerns I have is that the whole Olympic Committee are as corrupt as hell, Coe's got his nose in the trough, the two biggest sponsors are major contributors to obesity in this country, I am being told where I should go/shouldn't go and at what times I should do it, I will be paying for it for years to come, the original cost has ballooned to four times it's original estimate, etc etc.
My original post was actually just a light hearted swipe at the corporate greed of the Olympics. I wouldn't take it too much to heart ADT. You will have your bread and circuses and I hope you have a wonderful time.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: