Super fast BT infinity broadband - Southwark exchange

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 25 July 2012 1.06pm
I sporadically log in to the BT infinity rollout map: http://www.fibremap.bt.com/ to find out when the Southwark Exchange will join the 21st century. In early 2011 I remember Southwark being listed as due for upgrade December 2011. As december grew closer it became undated. I logged in today and it's now showing as due for conversion 31st december 2013. That's 18 months away! Anyone in the know regarding why so delayed?
Wednesday 25 July 2012 2.11pm
Its hugely frustrating.

Apparently lots of central london Infinity installs were rescheduled due to planning restrictions in 2012.
Wednesday 25 July 2012 9.03pm
I had a call from BT Business two months ago asking me if I wanted to upgrade my broadband, not to Infinity but something else. Not wanting to be upgraded to a lesser service and then potentially locked into a contract, I specifically asked when Infinity was going to be available. I was told that it would 'definitely' be available in London before the Olympics as BT were a major sponsor, it was one of their 2012 promises and they would have egg on their face if they didn't achieve it. Hmm.
Wednesday 25 July 2012 10.33pm
BT overpromising and under delivering?
Reminds of when I had their broadband help-line programmed into speed dial, and named as one of my "friends and family", so I saved some of the cost of calling them to reset my server.
Zoe
Thursday 26 July 2012 5.52am
It's pretty rubbish. I've been waiting for this, but I think I'll go with Plusnet now.
Thursday 26 July 2012 8.46am
Plusnet is owned by BT group, but operates as a separate brand.
Thursday 26 July 2012 10.43am
emmab wrote:
I had a call from BT Business two months ago asking me if I wanted to upgrade my broadband, not to Infinity but something else. Not wanting to be upgraded to a lesser service and then potentially locked into a contract, I specifically asked when Infinity was going to be available. I was told that it would 'definitely' be available in London before the Olympics as BT were a major sponsor, it was one of their 2012 promises and they would have egg on their face if they didn't achieve it. Hmm.

Well it is in London, just not in this area! Sounds like he chose his words carefully.

In Shad Thames our internet is fairly limited, we have been waiting for this a long time and now have to wait even longer.

Until the beginning of this year, Virgin Media were actually happy to dig up roads and put cable internet in. So on one side of Jamaica Road, for example, I know one building that has 50MB cable internet. The other side of the road is stuck with the limited BT service :(
Friday 27 July 2012 3.19pm
James B- wrote:
emmab wrote:

Well it is in London, just not in this area! Sounds like he chose his words carefully.

In Shad Thames our internet is fairly limited, we have been waiting for this a long time and now have to wait even longer.

Until the beginning of this year, Virgin Media were actually happy to dig up roads and put cable internet in. So on one side of Jamaica Road, for example, I know one building that has 50MB cable internet. The other side of the road is stuck with the limited BT service :(

I live on the corner of trinity street and borough high street. Virgin media cabled trinity street (according to residents i've spoken to), the cable box is on borough high street apparently just past my flat and the cable runs right past me, but virgin say i'm not in a cable area :(
Friday 27 July 2012 4.30pm
CPaulS wrote:
virgin say i'm not in a cable area :(

Have you checked with your freeholder - does Virgin perhaps need their permission to bring it into a block?
Friday 27 July 2012 4.37pm
CPaulS,

There is a why you can specifically ask Virgin Media to look into things such as this - to my knowledge they only advertise it on their forum. I tried it for here but never got a reply so maybe it is obsolete now.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/Want-Cable-been-told-it-s-not-available-We-might-be-able-to-help/td-p/20585
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network