I blame da Vinci

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 26 July 2012 7.16pm
Somebody shoot that effing chopper suspended over the Shard, right now, and for the last hour....

I know I will attract reproach for mentioning this yet again, but there are LIMITS!

Just saying.
Thursday 26 July 2012 7.35pm
I'm glad I wasn't the first one to mention it! :-)

I've resorted to cleaning my bathroom as it’s the only room I can't hear it in (with the extractor fan running).

Seriously though, what could they possibly be looking for which would cause them to hover in the same place for hour upon hour. Maybe an anti-olympics riot come to think of it!?!
Thursday 26 July 2012 8.56pm
They've just come back to Long Lane. It is very irritating...
Friday 27 July 2012 8.05am
Whilst we are all pretty much used to the constant helicopter disturbances over the area around Tower Bridge there's no doubt it reached a new high last night (or at least in the Bermondsey Street area).

One unmarked helicopter circled the Shard a few times and then sat in a single spot directly over Leathermarket Gardens for over 45 minutes, with no apparent reason. Even if there had been an incident, I have never seen a helicopter not move around the "scene". On a summer evening with all the windows/doors open the persistant noise was unbearable - these things are extremely noisy even without being stationary.

There was some unusual smoke coming from the roof of the stumpy extension to the Shard on St. Thomas Street but seemingly nothing that a stagnant helicopter could contribute to.

Even with an expectation of increased air traffic from the Olympiİs this sort of behaviour is not acceptable. Passing air traffic is to be expected, parking air traffic is not.

After 30 minutes I rang Southwark Coucil Environment noise team (020 7525 5777) who were very sympathic but unable to assist as aviation noise is outside their control. At 45 minutes I rang the police non-emergency number (101) and during the lengthy process of explaining the problem to the very helpful lady the helicopter left. This may be unconnected but I suspect not.

It's very easy to shrug-the-shoulders and say it must be necessary because of crime/terrorism/Olympiİs but these things have to operate within acceptable parameters, otherwise what's the point?

I will be emailing Simon Hughes (simon@simonhughes.org.uk) and Ubiquitous Boris (mayor@london.gov.uk) about this specific incident if only to circumvent the question "why didn't you contact us" when and if the problem escalates further.

It's also possible to raise a complaint with the Met Police : http://www.met.police.uk/contacts/yourvoice.htm
Friday 27 July 2012 9.29am
Just had an update from the CAA noise complaint line (who I had rung last night - their number was given to me by Southwark - they also had more than one complaint).

Essentially there are curently no environmental controls on air traffic. Once you have a flight license you can do whatever you want.... As far as I understand it as long as they abide by the rules governing height and proximity to buildings they can sit above your house for as long as they please. Quite unbelieveable that there are absolutely no controls on this whatsoever.

I'm advised that the helicopter last night belonged to Lord LowCoİk and his Olympiİ Trolls so they will be back....
Friday 27 July 2012 9.35am
I was also informed that the Police Air Support Unit (ASU) run a twitter feed on their own activities which can be of some use in finding out why they are in the air : @MPSinthesky
Friday 27 July 2012 9.45am
Coca Coe? Where does he live? Let's hire a chopper and hover over his gaff for hours.

Seriously, they must be well aware of the immense disturbance that relentless droning causes (and that's just Coe's voice..). As for the helicopter, it's disappointing to discover that the racket it caused was not at least related to an emergency or even to filming for the T/Bridge opening ceremony sequence.
Friday 27 July 2012 10.00am
St. Patrick wrote:
Whilst we are all pretty much used to the constant helicopter disturbances over the area around Tower Bridge there's no doubt it reached a new high last night (or at least in the Bermondsey Street area).
One unmarked helicopter circled the Shard a few times and then sat in a single spot directly over Leathermarket Gardens for over 45 minutes, with no apparent reason. Even if there had been an incident, I have never seen a helicopter not move around the "scene". On a summer evening with all the windows/doors open the persistant noise was unbearable - these things are extremely noisy even without being stationary.

There was some unusual smoke coming from the roof of the stumpy extension to the Shard on St. Thomas Street but seemingly nothing that a stagnant helicopter could contribute to.

Even with an expectation of increased air traffic from the Olympiİs this sort of behaviour is not acceptable. Passing air traffic is to be expected, parking air traffic is not.

After 30 minutes I rang Southwark Coucil Environment noise team (020 7525 5777) who were very sympathic but unable to assist as aviation noise is outside their control. At 45 minutes I rang the police non-emergency number (101) and during the lengthy process of explaining the problem to the very helpful lady the helicopter left. This may be unconnected but I suspect not.

It's very easy to shrug-the-shoulders and say it must be necessary because of crime/terrorism/Olympiİs but these things have to operate within acceptable parameters, otherwise what's the point?

I will be emailing Simon Hughes (simon@simonhughes.org.uk) and Ubiquitous Boris (mayor@london.gov.uk) about this specific incident if only to circumvent the question "why didn't you contact us" when and if the problem escalates further.

It's also possible to raise a complaint with the Met Police : http://www.met.police.uk/contacts/yourvoice.htm

The whole point of anti terrorism is that they do not have parameters- otherwise what would be the point?
Friday 27 July 2012 10.04am
I think it went on for about 2 hours in the end! They went away in the middle. I rang the council, the police, the shard developers, the Civil Aviation Authority and the MOD. No one knows who it was, but i couldn't have a conversation with the person next to me it was so loud! I hope its not olympic related as they're going to be there again tonight! Maybe I should ring Seb Coe.
Friday 27 July 2012 10.06am
Essewon, so are you saying there are no limits to anti-terrorism activities ???

simon33, if you have Lord LowCoİks telephone number I think there are a number of us who would love to make that call....
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: