Another pub soon to be flats

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 2 August 2012 8.38am
Lye Torng on St Georges Road is being knocked down and rebuilt as flats with a basement restaurant
Thursday 2 August 2012 9.38am
Not good news - had some good times in there!

Any comments Chavender ;-)
Thursday 2 August 2012 5.08pm
Thursday 2 August 2012 7.26pm
Merlin Rouge wrote:
Another pretty horrible new building IMHO

I don't disagree, although what is there now is pretty awful as well.
Thursday 2 August 2012 8.54pm
Any objections can be made known to the council's planning dept. It is not decided yet.

They look fairly high quality to me, the brown finish is naff but colour can be easily altered. It is a good location for more housing and we have a massive shortage. I've lived in the area (in a block that replaced a pub) for seven years and have never been to that pub and I jog by and don't see it very busy ... life goes on and hopefully the Thai food will continue in the basement restaurant.
Thursday 2 August 2012 9.54pm
Please be careful what actually happens after planning permission is granted, if it is.

This monster is the result of a whole raft of post-permission planning changes which were approved "with officer delegated authority." I.e. signed off by an officer with no requirement to inform neighbours, or even previous objectors. The only way of spotting this stuff is to monitor the council planing website weekly and then make a fuss even to be noticed. And most people have better things to do with their time.

Changes to the design that had been approved by councillors were made to the colour, the windows, the cycle parking and the finish and the result is an undeniable dogs breakfast and blot on the landscape, and a disgrace to the area. There are several outstanding rectification orders but these are being ignored by the developer. Beware!

Courtesy of the excellent facebook site Now and Then Walworth, this is the building that was demolished, certainly folorn but clearly a building of character with potential. Unfortunately this character has now been obliterated in a borough with no interest in the heritage of Walworth and the Elephant and Castle.
Thursday 2 August 2012 10.51pm
I don't think the design is that bad -- the current pub is hideous. (Yes, I wold prefer something elaborate and red brick, but this is still an improvement.)

Besides, any new density in the Elephant area is good for its longer-term regeneration.
Friday 3 August 2012 10.43am
I live opposite that pub and we received a letter from the Council about 6 weeks ago about the planning appliction for the demolition of the pub and the building of flats above a restaurant space. I am happy we are not losing out on a restaurnat venue and gaining more (hopefully affordable) homes in an area where a 1 storey pub is a blatant waste of space. Moreover, it does have any particular architectural character. This is a pretty small development considering all the 30+ storey buildings popping all around E&C.
My main issue would be the look of the building as we also recently received letters from the Council advising that the whole area (Elliott's St, Oswin St, Gaywood St) would soon become Listed as of Historical interest and there would be restrictions to planning applications for alterations to the outsides of buildings.
Friday 3 August 2012 11.06am
Quite sad to me. Can remeber my first trip to london with a lot of drinks and good thai food in this place.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: