Guy's Hospital makeover

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 4 August 2012 4.04pm

Concrete being cleaned with high pressure water by workers on at least 10 mastclimbers. The difference isn't that spectacular.

Cleaning the concrete 4 Aug by anthonySE1, on Flickr
Monday 6 August 2012 10.22am
I wish they would replace the entrance mat thingy as you go through the revolving doors, the stripes of rubber and metal play havoc with my eyes and make me feel wobbly and nausaeous ( sickish! cant spell today! lol) also the frontage at external lower level consisting of wavey metal decorative thingys....
Tuesday 7 August 2012 2.06pm
phoney wrote:
The difference isn't that spectacular

I believe the cleaning is just "phase 1". They are planning to clad the tower - or perhaps I've misunderstood?
Tuesday 7 August 2012 2.11pm
I also thought they were cladding it...

|Free calls to USA & Canada | |
Tuesday 7 August 2012 2.36pm
Isn't it due to be painted green? Or was that just an April Fool?
Tuesday 7 August 2012 2.43pm
They are replacing the windows on the whole thing, but the cladding will be on the communications tower (on the right hand side of phoney's pic) not the cleaned areas of concrete on the left.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 7 August 2012 4.04pm
They are - but it had to be cleaned beforehand.
Tuesday 7 August 2012 9.18pm
The cleaning could do more harm than good if it causes the concrete to crumble !
Tuesday 7 August 2012 10.32pm
The fancy cladding will be on the communications tower, but I thought that they needed to put a basic overlay over the main tower as well as the "corrugated" concrete is in such a ropey state.

ETA: I think the idea of photo-voltaic panels on the communications tower has been dropped.
Tuesday 14 August 2012 4.16pm
Tue 14 Aug Concrete cleaned, damaged patches tidied up and ready to be made good.

Guy's hospital by anthonySE1, on Flickr

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: