Switch Off Engines Signs

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 8 August 2012 10.46am
I live in Bartholomew Street which over the years has turned into an unofficial coach/bus/lorry/van stop, due to the amenities near by. Which does not bother me one iota, what does bother me is the dickheads who leave their engines running, I am fed up with having either to go out and tell them to switch off, or if i am less than mobile phone up the number on the side and complain, believe me if i did not one vehicle can stay there for 15/20 minutes with running engines.

On occasions there have been as many as nine coaches parked up in our little street.

Can Southwark Council not put up signs requesting that signs stating that engines must be switched off?
especially as once again the dangers of car exhausts are raised on the bbc health news.

I often wonder if the five cases of cancer in our 11 houses had anything to do with the fumes....
Wednesday 8 August 2012 11.35am
I believe I'm right in thinking that many of them are serving the school? If so maybe write to them asking them to make it a policy/contract with the coach firms.

I guess it is a case of perseverance, good on you for taking action.

Also you could e-mail TfL about this (it's not a TfL road but they can put pressure on the council): see their campaign here and they invite suggestions on where idling is a problem:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/19853.aspx.
Wednesday 8 August 2012 12.01pm
Thanks for that Colinio. I'll direct them to the cabs on the double red lines on Tooley Street chugging away for hours on end. It's not like there's suddenly going to be traffic law in London if they turn their engines off.
Wednesday 8 August 2012 12.41pm
Colinio,

thank you for that, I followed that link you provided, efficient operative gave me ref: 291 8926...writing it one here because I'll probably mislay the scarp of paper! There are normally a couple of buses route 63 that wait to take the girls back to peckham, they cause no problem normally. They pull up, park up, load up then drive off. Redwing Coaches normally take the schools pupils on trips. I think the problem now is every single coach company knows where their coaches can take a break and have a snack, via word of mouth every enjoys the ability to park on yellow lines unhindered because the Wardens think it is a coach bay.

I have even phoned Poland and told them to phone their drivers telling them to switch off.

I honestly dont want to stop these drivers having a break, because driving for a living must be a nightmare and it is essential for road safety for them to be refreshed and not busting for a wee! It is not only the Coach drivers, last week I went to the shop and a White Van man had parked outside, engine running of course, reading his paper and eating a sandwich. On the way back I did me old cockney pensioner bit...

'ere luv dousafavour, can you turn yur engine orff' and gave him a beaming gummy smile..now that approach normally gets a response of ' oh sorry darling,just going' this p**t made the mistake of saying ....and what is it to you? Well i was gobsmacked and told him he had three minutes to leave as I was calling the police and the parking shop...he turned off his engine and sat there for ten minutes smirking....and on the residents parking bays!

and Beetroot if you think of the prohibitive cost of fuel turning off would save your taxi drivers a fortune..
Wednesday 8 August 2012 1.03pm
Just a call from tfl and was told that the operative speaking to her senior member was told to phone and say basically it was nowt to do with them! Luckily I referred her to the website link provided by colinio...she is going to phone me back... there was one hilarious moment when i said i even had the name of the person to e-mail, and told her i may not have the correct pronunciation...what a dope I am....it was:- noidling@tfl.etc! No Idling!
Zoe
Wednesday 8 August 2012 7.48pm
I think it's worth getting your local councillor or Val Shawcross involved in sorting this one if you don't get anywhere with TFL.

Love the email address!
Thursday 9 August 2012 9.16am
It's a lovely quiet day here...only 3 red reliance coaches, one cyc truck, one white van,one flooring vehicle which i think is something to do with essential works to the new wing of the school..no 'ang on all light has been obliterated by enormous white lorry right outside my window, now the first lot have all turned their engines off, this driver has not. There are no numbers / details on the side of the soft sided vehicle...am going out to tell him..as capt.oates said i may be some time!
Thursday 9 August 2012 9.26am
He went as soon as the door was opened...I have that effect sometimes! and Conlino I've just reminded myself that its the school holidays and there are still Reliance coaches parked outside, but at least their engines are off! as I said it will be a lot quieter because the olympics and the holiday period.
Friday 10 August 2012 3.08pm
The approach to Southwark Bridge (north of Southwark Street) has over the years become enslaved to tourist coaches. The northbound 344 makes two stops in that stretch, at least the second of which is frequently blocked.

The council does have signs up saying engines should be switched off - so demand these in Bartholomew Street if you like - but in years of walking past at least twice a day I've never seen them policed.

Doubtless they're left running so that drivers, and passengers once they turn up, can enjoy the onboard aircon. But that's no excuse for all these unnecessary emissions.
Saturday 11 August 2012 10.24am
If Boris truly wants a low emissions zone, he should include a "no idling" rule. Tack it onto one of the Climate Change Bills if it needs authority to be devolved from central government.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: