Old Kent Road trauma

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 13 August 2012 10.05am
old kent road closed off completely from asda to b&q by police cordon.
maccas closed!
dozens of police/forensic vehicles ...

Related news & features

Tuesday 14 August 2012 9.33am
still no news - not even slp!
Tuesday 14 August 2012 12.08pm
Is it still closed?
Wednesday 15 August 2012 5.54am
very mysterious
closed off in the early hours of monday later reopened but still closed off at midday the side roads either side of macs between b&q carpark and asda carparks also closed?
nada ...
Wednesday 15 August 2012 7.33am
James! Sleuthing needed!
Thursday 16 August 2012 12.43pm
a man was shot in the leg outside the club favour ... southwark news
Friday 17 August 2012 11.46am
Article in Southwark News yesterday re a shooting at/outside the night club next to Macdonalds - which i think was the Henry Cooper pub many moons ago- and the road was closed off so i think this may be what you are referring to?
Friday 17 August 2012 12.39pm
dee dee wrote:
Article in Southwark News yesterday re a shooting at/outside the night club next to Macdonalds - which i think was the Henry Cooper pub many moons ago- and the road was closed off so i think this may be what you are referring to?

Now I would not swear to this, plus I'd be giving my age away, but I thought that the pub that was at one time roughly near where Asda is now on the OKR, was The Wellington, maybe Lord Wellington.
The Henry Cooper (I think), was a little further along the OKR in the direction of The Thomas Beckett, but then again, did The Wellington have it's name changed to The Henry Cooper? Just casually mentioned this to a younger acquaintance who said, "Wasn't/isn't that near the club called Vogue?" I give up!
Friday 17 August 2012 1.03pm
Debrajoan,
It's the same pub, and one of my erstwhile watering holes.
Back in the 1960's (when I first started experimenting with 'light and bitter') It was called 'The Duke of Wellington,' or, more usually among punters, 'The Wellington.' I can't be sure when it changed to the 'Henry Cooper,' but I left the area in 1969 and I'm sure it was still 'The Wellington,' up to then.
It was one of the many thriving pubs in the Old Kent Road at that time and on summer evenings many of the punters would stand outside on the wide pavement. It would be no exaggeration to say that 50 to 100 was not unusual on a balmy evening. They had live music there also on occasions. At one time a front window was boarded up and a cartoon was drawn on it with a speech bubble exclaiming, 'What, no glass?'
The reason for the missing window was that a group playing there one Saturday night upset the punters and the drum kit was hurled through it.
Friday 17 August 2012 1.12pm
The name wouldn't come to me earlier, but the face that was drawn on the boarded up window was, 'Chad.' The wartime cartoon character who used to peep over walls and say, "What, no sugar/bread" etc. during rationing.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: