Bike thief

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 15 August 2012 10.48am
had my bike nicked from outside Devon Mansions. Spotted it advertised on Gumtree a few days later and managed to get it back by posing a a potential buyer then confronting the theif. He had numerous bikes for sale. Please contact me if you want more details of how I did this safely or a photo of the thief, Steve
Wednesday 15 August 2012 11.09am
Reported this to the police?
Wednesday 15 August 2012 11.37am
Wow - well done!

Definately get him/her reported to the police though.
Wednesday 15 August 2012 11.59am
Not nice having things stolen, but well done on the confrontation to get it back. Make sure you report it though
Wednesday 15 August 2012 12.23pm
I reported to the Police & with all respect there were not interested. Even phoned the Police when the thief was stood in front of me at London Bridge
Wednesday 15 August 2012 12.48pm
Wow, Bravo. How did he react when you took a photo of him?!
Wednesday 15 August 2012 1.17pm
Good for you Steve. I had my bike stolen a few weeks ago from the locked bike cage in the basement garage of our building. I'm pretty sure I spotted it on Gumtree but by the time I 'phoned up about it it had already been sold. (Not surprisingly really - a one year old bike with a new RRP of c. 1K advertised for 125... and there's a whole other topic that could be discussed about the morality of people who buy stuff that's quite obviously stolen.)

The police were diligent about taking all the details but then sent me a letter saying they wouldn't be investigating further.

Anyway I would be interested to know what information you have about the thief, in case it matches with the few bits of information I have about the suspected culprit in my case. PM me if you don't want to post publicly?
Wednesday 15 August 2012 1.51pm
Same happened to my friend- her uniquely cutomised bike on e bay hours after theft. Because the theif/seller was in Essex , local police (as in where it was nicked) would not cross pollenate to other forces. And.... would not access the internet as 'they are not allowed to!
Got it back by going in posing as the buyer and door stepping the theif with alot of big bloke mates.
Wednesday 15 August 2012 3.21pm
There was something on this on the BBC news today. The same thing happened, a person had their bike stolen and then saw it for sale on Gumtree but the Police didn't investigate. Amazing that they could catch thiefs so easily and deter further bike thefts but do not do anything.

I was over Brick Lane way on Sunday and there were clearly people selling stolen bikes there.
Wednesday 15 August 2012 3.46pm
Good for you Steve.

I've had 2 stolen so far.

As per other posters, the police were not interested in following it up, even when I had a good lead from the classifieds. I guess (hope) they have bigger fish to fry.

Which is strange as I'm sure I Saw a breakfast TV item this morning with a bike theft team making a statement?
Anyone else see this?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: