Crystal China - AMAZING

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 15 August 2012 12.27pm
hello

There have been various threads about food places and supporting Tower bridge road and the great independent businesses in the area. I thought my experience at Crystal China on TBR deserved it's own thread so I could go to town on how great I think it is. We went there first a few months ago and had a typcial chinese meal - duck pancakes, singapore noodles etc. The portion sizes are huge so we could have ordered half or just had a meal from the starter of crispy duck. We noticed that 80% of the clientele are chinese and that there is a big room at the back which is a private karoake room (they have english songs apparently but mainly chinese). It ended up very cheap. We fancied returning so went again on Monday. Again there were a lot of Chinese clientele. All of them were sharing meals from big metal bowls so I asked the waitress what it was. Apparently it is a szechuan dish and people travel to them from across London to experience it as it is the only place that does it in London. This piqued our interest so we ordered it and she went through the options. It was so tasty and different to chinese food I have had before. We also had enough to have two boxes filled up of the remainder we couldnt finishi n the restaurant which we could eat the next day. I recommend if you like trying something different you go along and ask for this menu. The service is good, the chef is great and the staff take great pride in their restaurant and work. We are so lucky for Orvilles Carribean up the road and theother food places. If you want a nice chinese that is a bit different do try Crystal China...
Wednesday 15 August 2012 12.52pm
Thanks Julia. Not much choice for us 'nothing-with-a-face' eaters but I'll give one of their tofu dishes a try some time.

http://www.crystalchinalondon.co.uk/
Wednesday 15 August 2012 10.49pm
Still waiting for a decent veg*n restaurant to open up in SE1...
As well as local reviewers to refer to veggie options...
One day!
Thursday 16 August 2012 8.49am
re 'nothing-with-a-face' eaters - does that include Jammy Dodgers?
Thursday 4 October 2012 5.41pm
Thank you so much Julia. I am always dubious of Large portions particularly from Chinese Restaurants. BUT this place is a gem. We have had home delivery twice. 1st time excellent, 2nd time an hour late and food on the slightly wrong side of warm, BUT, the flavour was still there and just incredible, very enjoyable, but on the right side of warm would have been incredible again. Love it, hope flavour and standards do not slip.
Julia7239 wrote:
hello
There have been various threads about food places and supporting Tower bridge road and the great independent businesses in the area. I thought my experience at Crystal China on TBR deserved it's own thread so I could go to town on how great I think it is. We went there first a few months ago and had a typcial chinese meal - duck pancakes, singapore noodles etc. The portion sizes are huge so we could have ordered half or just had a meal from the starter of crispy duck. We noticed that 80% of the clientele are chinese and that there is a big room at the back which is a private karoake room (they have english songs apparently but mainly chinese). It ended up very cheap. We fancied returning so went again on Monday. Again there were a lot of Chinese clientele. All of them were sharing meals from big metal bowls so I asked the waitress what it was. Apparently it is a szechuan dish and people travel to them from across London to experience it as it is the only place that does it in London. This piqued our interest so we ordered it and she went through the options. It was so tasty and different to chinese food I have had before. We also had enough to have two boxes filled up of the remainder we couldnt finishi n the restaurant which we could eat the next day. I recommend if you like trying something different you go along and ask for this menu. The service is good, the chef is great and the staff take great pride in their restaurant and work. We are so lucky for Orvilles Carribean up the road and theother food places. If you want a nice chinese that is a bit different do try Crystal China...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: