Dangerous dogs in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 16 August 2012 9.00am
Can anyone please advise what action can be taken against owners who let their dogs off their leads in public areas who are unable to control their dogs and who act in a threatening and intimidating manner towards others? I understand that Southwark Council can issue 50 on the spot fines to anyone who does not have their dog on a lead but, given the absence of a police presence on most estates, how can these orders be enforced? My partner and I had a very unpleasant exchange with a young 'woman' last night who regularly exercises her Pit Bull/Staff type dog on our estate yet who does not live here, never has the dog on a lead and who clearly cannot control her animal!
Thursday 16 August 2012 9.18am
What estate is that, where you leave? And where is she leaving?
Contact the house management, they might know her. This would be the first step.

Probably the very first step, would be to talk to her directly and ask to behave in a more social way. If this fails I would go for the above.
Thursday 16 August 2012 9.25am
It is the Dodson Street estate in Waterloo. She does not live here - she has admitted this but clearly lives nearby somewhere. We did try to speak to her but the situation very quickly spiralled out of control as she clearly is neither a responsible owner or reasonable human being! There is therefore no further point in trying to speak to het - it is a case of just waiting for her dog to attack someone or another dog before anything is done .... Meanwhile we have to just wait in fear and put up with this idiot's intimidation and threats.
Thursday 16 August 2012 12.01pm
I was on Potter's Fields last year and a guy let his dogs off the lead and they came bounding over to me. I shouted "Please call your dogs" and got a reply "Shut up you slag" Not from a Council Estate tenant but someone who clearly lived in Butlers Wharf or nearby.
Thursday 16 August 2012 12.42pm
Mildred wrote:
I was on Potter's Fields last year and a guy let his dogs off the lead and they came bounding over to me. I shouted "Please call your dogs" and got a reply "Shut up you slag" Not from a Council Estate tenant but someone who clearly lived in Butlers Wharf or nearby.

And you deduced this from his impeccable pronunciation I guess.
Thursday 16 August 2012 12.50pm
Take a discreet photo if possible of owner and dog, and if the dog does bite someone at least you will have some proof of who owns/walks the dog.or just say you are calling the police as she is contravening the local by-laws etc., not sure if any by-laws would be contravened mind you, but worth a try.
Thursday 16 August 2012 2.24pm
KatRado wrote:
I understand that Southwark Council can issue 50 on the spot fines to anyone who does not have their dog on a lead

No that's not true, but if the dog is deemed to be threatening and out of control then the police or an authorised warden can. I would contact the police. I've reported an attack on children in progress and the police did nothing. But it's down to luck rather than seriousness of the crime so see if the dice favour you...
Thursday 16 August 2012 4.17pm
Dear all, thank you much for your comments and advice.

We did try to take a photo of her yesterday ( which is partly why it all 'kicked off' last night) ! Unfortunately, the pic came out v blurry but I will now make a point of carrying my mobile with me whenever I take our dog out just in case I come across the nasty piece of work again :(

We did call the police last night on the non emergency number who took all the details and said someone would be in touch in the next 3 days but I very much doubt they will get in touch and, even if they do, that they will be able to do anything about this 'woman' as she doesn't even live on our estate .... Makes me SO mad that people can behave like this and get away with this sort of behaviour !! Grrrr
Zoe
Thursday 16 August 2012 5.32pm
That must have been really distressing. I've had similar experiences and people can be deeply unpleasant. I think you should contact the safer neighbourhood team and ask their advice on this matter.
Thursday 16 August 2012 6.49pm
Thank you Zoe, I have just sent them an e-mail and have also contacted my local Councillor and housing officer :)!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: