Hills...Training for Half Marathon...Help Required Please

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 16 August 2012 9.56am
Morning all :)
I'm training for The Royal Parks Foundation Half Marathon, which I am running for a very good cause The Alzheimers Society, here's my question...

I live at Borough end of Great Dover Street and am looking for somewhere not too far away with some hilly stretches to train on, I don't mind running a mile or two to get there but don't really want to have to go getting trains or buses, can anyone think of anywhere local enough for my needs?

Thanks in advance, Di.

http://www.justgiving.com/DianeDavies1968

Life's too short live it!!!

D x
Thursday 16 August 2012 10.07am
You may need to head up to Dulwich or Crystal Palace for hills. I dont know of any in SE1
Thursday 16 August 2012 10.48am
I've run to Greenwich park a few times to get my hill fix in. It can get mighty busy of a weekend though, after 8am, so go early! It's not mega-convenient, though:

http://www.serpentine.org.uk/pages/location_greenwich.html

It ain't great for hills round here, that's for sure. I tend to do my hill (and pace) work on a treadmill. Just so I can quantify inclines/speeds etc. I hate running indoors, but the speed boost from both aspects of training was well worth it! Might be worth thinking about.

Good luck with the RPH - did it myself a few years back, it's a lovely run.

Mike
Thursday 16 August 2012 10.48am
Farringdon/Angel are sort of sloping but hardly hills.

Surrey Quays has a hill in the middle, or Primrose Hill, both 3 miles away.

Good luck!
Thursday 16 August 2012 10.55am
Depends how steep you want them. If you head over the river and keep going north you find yourself on a long steady incline. Similarly if you're just wanting some variety to the elevation you're running on, I'd be inclined to run around the parks themselves - running north through hyde park is gently uphill.

I do hill training sessions on the treadmill rather than outdoors cos you can control the steepness very accurately. Otherwsie I too think you're looking at one of the parks South East of here. I have trained on Primrose Hill as it's near my work - it's a bugger to get up but pretty once you're there.

If you're simply planning for the HM itself I wouldn't worry too much as the course is pretty flat.

As Mike said, it's a lovely route and one of my favourite races. Enjoy :-)
Thursday 16 August 2012 11.40am
Wow so many responses already!! Thanks everyone :) some ideas at least.
I know the route for the RPH and realise it is not that hilly but...Hill training will help increase my stamina according to a number of runners I have spoken to. I've done a couple of 10k's the latest being the debacle that was The Great British 10k (Nike)I'm hoping the RPH is better organised, I've trained up to 7 miles so far planning to increase that steadily up to race day.
Any of you peeps that have already done this course got any advice for me?
One bloke I know said remember when you get to Hyde Park you run 5 miles around it so don't think it's nearly over think here we go the work begins!!

D x
Thursday 16 August 2012 2.38pm
If you have access to a gym then you can do some high intensity interval training on a bike or treadmill. There are loads of scientific ways of doing this but essentially it boils down to the same thing: Run or cycle flat out, as fast as you can, for about 20-30 seconds, then rest for 5 mins (slow jog or slow cycle if you're on a bike), then repeat 3, 4 or 5 times doing the same. Ideally use a heart rate monitor but you don't have to have one. If you speak to most trainers then doing interval training works wonders and there is science behind it. If you do a 30 min session of intervals it feels like (to me) the same as doing a couple of hours out of a bike. It also burns fat fast too!
Thursday 16 August 2012 3.00pm
I'm a member of a gym but like to get out in the fresh air too, liked the idea of running full pelt down hils and recovering up them (have I got that the right way round experts?!!)Thanks all again x

D x
Friday 17 August 2012 9.52am
If you want to get some races under your belt I highly recommend the Battersea Park Races held over the summer months. They are low key but extremely well run and cheap to enter. The races are on the road in the park and it's very quiet so you can do good times. There is a wide range of abilities from super fast club runners down to joggers. Everyone is welcome and it's very friendly. There is a 10m on the 8th Sept do that it will be good training for the half marathon.

http://uk.srichinmoyraces.org/races/london (me in the yellow vest)
Friday 17 August 2012 10.25am
Wow how funny! I have looked at that 10m Race, I can enter on the day can't I?

D x
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: