Strange smell in Waterloo

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
mac
Thursday 16 August 2012 11.39am
I live in Waterloo and for the past couple of weeks there's been a really odd smell in the air, a bit like coffee roasting. I notice the same smell when I'm on the train going past the Costa coffee roasting place next to the train track near Vauxhall. I can't believe the smell can waft all the way from there and still be incredibly strong in Waterloo. I'm having to close the windows it's so strong - has anyone else noticed it? I wonder what it is....
Thursday 16 August 2012 12.22pm
mac wrote:
I wonder what it is....

Only a guess, but could it possibly be coffee?
mac
Thursday 16 August 2012 12.46pm
sigh, I sometimes wonder why I bother wasting time with this forum...
Zoe
Thursday 16 August 2012 5.42pm
I think it smells chemically rather than like coffee, so it may not be the same smell, but seems unlikely there's so many strong smells around here. I have smelt it before and wondered what it was.

Modman might be right and it's a local source roasting coffee very close to your window, so it seems really strong? Does seem a bit unlikely though!
Thursday 16 August 2012 8.48pm
mac wrote:
sigh, I sometimes wonder why I bother wasting time with this forum...

Hi Mac - ignore the puerile Modman.

I have noticed the smell too as far as Westminster Bridge. And yes, it is coffee roasting. Had a similar pong around Shad Thames last year and traced it to Monmouth Coffee in Maltby Street. I emailed them pointing out this item on the Southwark Council website.

Had a nice dialogue with a Monmouth lady who told me they had a filter problem and that they were addressing and to get in touch if it was not fixed.

If you live under a pong it is not nice - but there are rules in place and, if you can follow your nose and find the source, you will get a result if you email and are polite.
Friday 17 August 2012 8.33am
Apparently there is a Costa roasting house near Waterloo Station?

I for one love the smell around Monmouth Coffee on Maltby Street, though it makes me feel hungry when I walk past!
Friday 17 August 2012 8.41am
Agreed - walking past and getting a sniff is great. But not so great when you work from home and it starts at 10am and goes on all day.
Jac
Friday 17 August 2012 11.08am
We used to have a coffee roasting place near us the general smell is fine but the high roasts were really rather acrid. Smell like a cross between burnt coffee and burnt toast and quite unpleasant so I was glad when they moved.
Friday 17 August 2012 5.17pm
Coffee smell can travel a fair distance, as it is such a strong smell and there is a Costa coffee factory(?) near the railway.

When I was little we lived in Kennington up the Vauxhall end and there was a Marmite factory which used to smell disgusting! It was years before I tried Marmite and found it was quite nice and not at all like the smell from their factory.

I used to love the smell of the Peak Freans factory as I went past on the train.(I fancy a biscuit now)
Friday 17 August 2012 5.22pm
Coffee is strong yet Starbucks and others have to pump an artificial coffee smell near their entrances because the smell doesn't reach. I met the owners of the company that provide Starbucks coffee smell.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: