Guys Minor Injuries clinic...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 23 August 2012 10.23pm
...no longer exists.
No matter what the NHS website or NHS Direct tell you, it's gone.
If you phone them you get put on hold for ten minutes and then told they are now a GP led practice (whatever that means) and they can't see you even though you are local. You have to drive or get a very expensive taxi to NewCross.
Gosh what fun.
Thursday 23 August 2012 10.36pm
Yes, it has been replaced by an urgent care centre which is run by Bermondsey Landsdowne Mission. I don't know the difference in terms of what they do, but like the minor injuries unit it is primarily staffed by emergency nurse practitioners. But there are also GPs there and it is open 8-8, 7 days a week. Seems an improvement to me on the minor injuries. I'm not sure why they couldn't see you - I walked in on a Saturday afternoon expecting a few hours wait (I'd taken a book!), but was seen within 5 mins. Was sent upstairs for an x-ray, waited a further 5 mins there, was scanned, then by the time I got back down they were ready to see me with my results.

Fantastic service, seems like a great improvement.
Zoe
Friday 24 August 2012 7.24am
I was a bit worried about this, but it seems to be better than it was before as it's open longer and with doctors not just nurses.
Friday 24 August 2012 10.29am
Walking to my clinic yesterday at 2ish. walked past looked in and wondered about the definition of urgent care, I had used the minor injuries before..infected bite...broken foot...and they were very good.

Yesterday there did not seem to be loads of people waiting only a few, perhaps they have more staff than previously?
Friday 14 September 2012 8.10pm
It's been rebranded by some PR muppet to put offpeople going.
I was in there this morning & they were great. In & out in no time with great advice. It was 8am though.
Monday 17 September 2012 11.20pm
I got burned on holiday in France a few weeks ago. The French hospital were fantastic and showed me how to dress the burns and prescribed me the burn dressings which I paid for. They told me to see my own doctor after seven days to check the progress and see how much longer to continue the dressings.

This turned out to be a problem when I got home as my practice were too busy so I rang NHS Direct to ask where to go. They said Guys Minor Injuries Unit. I understood it to be closed and said so. NHS DIrect kew nothing about this but advised me to phone them before going which I did.

I was told, with no uncertainty by the woman at the "GP led practice" at Guys to get lost as they were only a GP practice for people within a radius of about six feet. I was told this very emphatically. This woman told me there were no Minor injuries units now and we weren't to call them that and it was just a "local" "GP led " practice for people that very emphatically did not include me though she didn't actually ask where I lived.

I'm really fed up with the really awful treatment I've had since I've got home, which I pay lots of tax for, compared to the wonderful treatment in France which worked out a lot cheaper as the dressings I bought from the chemist in the UK cost three times as much as they did in France.

When I phoned the "practice" advertised in this article as I was told to by NHS Direct, I was told to shove off, burns and all.

Can we have some clarification here as to what and whom this place does actually treat if anyone?
Monday 17 September 2012 11.25pm
I'm really cross about the horrible way I was treated by this lot. Really cross.
I pay SHITLOADS of tax to be treated like dirt here when I need help.
Zoe
Tuesday 18 September 2012 8.02am
From the story James did about the recent opening with Simon Hughes, it's clear that the unit still deals with minor injuries, but also does other GP led services. I had to take a neighbour to Dulwich previously when she needed some antibiotics, but now I believe she would be able to go to Guys.

I think you might have got a rogue receptionist (unfortunately not that uncommon with GP's) and you should have just gone in anyway.

Simon Hughes says he has pushed for this set up, so maybe you should ask him about it?
Tuesday 18 September 2012 10.47pm
Davies wrote:

Can we have some clarification here as to what and whom this place does actually treat if anyone?

The Urgent Care Centre at St Thomas's was opened a couple of years ago to deal with Patient's with minor ailments and minor injuries. The minor ailments are dealt with by the GPs and the minor injuries by the Emergency nurse practitioners.

This has now been replicated at Guy's and replaced the minor injuries unit. People can still turn up with minor injuries and be seen by the same nurse practitioners as before. Also people who would have gone to their GP as an emergency can turn up there and wait to see a GP. Anything more serious should go to A&E. Anything less serious should wait for a GP appointment.

We've taken our daughter to Guy's to see an out of hours GP since the UCC opened there. We got an appointment via SELDOC however. If you've never used SELDOC before, you phone and speak to a telephonist who takes your message, a Dr will return your call within half an hour to discuss your medical issue, if they think you need to see an out of hours Dr a SELDOC receptionist will phone you back to offer you a time and place. We asked for an appointment at Guy's and got one.

Perhaps SELDOC is the way to go to be sure?
Friday 21 September 2012 9.05pm
They have a GP at minor injuries now from 8am to 8pm and nurses. I saw the gp once for tonsillitis when was weekend. yep agree you cant park anywhere around there, if I go I have to get a train there and back.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: