Plant Massacre

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
JayBee Saturday 25 August 2012 9.24am
As I write, two council workers are butchering the plants and shrubs around Lant House that cost a great deal of money (not to mention effort in securing grants to put them in). They are cutting them down to approximately one foot above ground and destroying our community garden.
We remonstrated with them and asked them to stop, but they refused. Obviously, there is no-one to contact at the council offices on a Saturday and this damage will take years to repair.
It is disgraceful and I would like to know who is responsible for this vandalism.

Advertisement

Zoe Saturday 25 August 2012 9.53am
Jay, ring your local councillors, their numbers are on the southwark website.
Karen I Saturday 25 August 2012 9.54am
What kind of plants were they? If they were flowering shrubs and just finished flowering, now would be the best time to cut them back. The new growth they put on this year and in the spring will yield more flowers. Likewise, if they were plants such as geraniums, cutting them right back this time of year will give another flush of growth and flowers before winter. If I get the time this weekend, I'll go up and have a look. However, this sort of 'pruning' should be staggered so you don't notice it so much.
JayBee Saturday 25 August 2012 10.51am
Thanks, Zoe - have contacted one councillor and shall the others.
Karen I - grateful for the advice. Some were flowering and were in need of a prune, but this is really drastic. There's hardly anything left!
Apparently, the surgery was the result of someone complaining that the shrubs are "dangerous"!!! The mind boggles
Pieces of Eight Saturday 25 August 2012 11.20am
JayBee wrote:
As I write, two council workers are butchering the plants and shrubs around Lant House that cost a great deal of money (not to mention effort in securing grants to put them in). They are cutting them down to approximately one foot above ground and destroying our community garden.
We remonstrated with them and asked them to stop, but they refused. Obviously, there is no-one to contact at the council offices on a Saturday and this damage will take years to repair.
It is disgraceful and I would like to know who is responsible for this vandalism.

Sounds like a job for the Special Branch........
Jan the old one Saturday 25 August 2012 11.20am
Reminds me of years ago when I phoned on a friday to protest at the destruction of two massive trees in new kent road, corner of theobold st. was told 'the one and only tree preservation officer' was away till the monday! job done by then..:-(

If there is no valid reason for extensive pruning by the gardeners I hope southwarks plant nursery will replace all the plants that have gone..do they still have a plant nursery I wonder?
JayBee Saturday 25 August 2012 12.23pm
I doubt they have a nusery anymore.... the perpetrators said they were bin men....
nothing against bin people, but as gardeners I don't think these guys were quite up to the job. Chainsaw happy!! Pictures before and after coming soon.....
Martinuco Saturday 25 August 2012 1.10pm
That's terrible news. I pass by there frequently and always wished that the Rockingham could have a similar treatment. I think at the very least the council could have let people know of their intentions. The council are always too reactionary when it comes to plants of any kind. I was once told by an officer that window boxes could not be sanctioned by the council in case somebody complained about water dripping onto them below. So we are left with enormous amounts of green desert some of which have not a single thing other than grass. I am now dreading walking by Lant House as it will be too sad to see this.
Zoe Saturday 25 August 2012 1.50pm
Rockingham can have this, it just needs a few people to get together and do some planting. I bet BOST would help you.
Jan the old one Saturday 25 August 2012 2.59pm
Were those two 'bin men' fully trained in 'elf and safety' cant see 'bin men' diversifying? see pieces of eight the council operatives can branch out! and in that vein I will leaf it alone! lol
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions