Anyone remember big warehouse on Gt Dover St, opp St George church and Borough station corner Trinity St.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 25 August 2012 10.58am
Big Dolcis/Upsons Warehouse on Gt Dover St opp St Georges church and Borough tube, corner Trinity St. Small 18th century house sth side warehouse was my design studio. Any pictures? info much appreciated for a book Ew
Saturday 25 August 2012 11.16am
Trinity street is not exactly near the borough tube lucey, how long ago was that? and to be honest I can not remember any warehouse in great dover street unless its where Carers uk. are now? I am doing a mental check going down great dover st. on the left, Arcadia buildings ( demolished many moons ago) telephone exchange, was it in tabard street?
Saturday 25 August 2012 11.35am
Dolcis acquired the surrey dispensary as office and warehouse...corner of falmouth road and trinity street, not sure when that was. google maps will show the dispensary still in existence, not as its original purpose, but it may jog your memory..hope that helps...
jantoo.
Saturday 25 August 2012 11.39am
national archives.....source
Saturday 25 August 2012 4.50pm
Assuming that the Dover Castle pub has always been no 6 Great Dover Street, then the various addresses 7-11 and 7-13 given for Dolcis/Upsons suggets it was on the site now occupied by what I think is still the SPIE Matthew Hall office block at 7-14???
Saturday 25 August 2012 5.04pm
Jan - The way I read that catalogue entry [for documents in London Metropolitan Archives] listed on the National Archives "Access to Archives" site is that it relates to Upsons buying the Surrey Dispensary's old premises in Old Kent Rd in 1927, and the Dispensary then moving to new premises in Falmouth Road.

Agreement A/SD/105 7 May 1927

archive reference wrote:
Contents:
1. Robert Knox Bevington, 42 St Thomas' St., London Bridge, leather merchant; Frederick William Doggett, 217 Weston St., Bermondsey, leather manufacturer; Ellis Marsland, 32 Camberwell Grove, Camberwell, F.R.I.B.A. Trustees
2. Upsons Ltd., 7-10 Gt. Dover St.
Southwark: demolition of 32 Trinity St and 2 Falmouth Rd and building new dispensary; surrender of lease of old dispensary in Gt. Dover St., etc.
Saturday 25 August 2012 8.22pm
Thanks Lang Rabbie, I got carried away in my enthusiasm to help! :-) and still cant think where the Mathew Hall bldg. is!
Sunday 26 August 2012 2.50pm
Jan the old one wrote:
... still cant think where the Mathew Hall bldg. is!

It is a very forgettable (late70s/early80s???) office block set back on the other corner of Swan Street from the Dover Castle.
Tuesday 28 August 2012 9.09am
Large-scale Ordnance Survey map (1907-12) available on old-maps.co.uk, shows going down Great Dover Street from Borough tube on the right-hand side:

'P.H.' (= Dover Castle)
Swan Street
'Dispensary'
'Boot & Shoe Manufactory'

The Dispensary is the Surrey Dispensary that moved to the corner of Falmouth Road in 1927 as noted above by Lang Rabbie.

Unfortunately there are no later large-scale maps of the area on the website, but it IS the big Matthew Hall site, between Gt Dover Street and Cole Street. See
http://www.local-buzz.co.uk/business/spie-matthew-hall-ltd/3694087
Tuesday 28 August 2012 10.30am
Going back some forty-odd years when I was last in that area, the South-Eastern District Office of the Royal Mail, (G.P.O. in those days,) was situated just about where Lucy describes. I heard that it had moved some years ago, but from memory the old building could have been considered as looking like a warehouse.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: