Moving to Great Dover Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 27 August 2012 5.57pm
Hello all,

I'm an 18 year old moving down from Yorkshire next month, and KCL have allocated me to halls in Great Dover Street. I've been doing a bit of research on the local area, but I was just wondering what you guys could tell me about it?

Nightlife, hidden gems, local knowledge? Another concern of mine is safety - coming from the suburbs (albeit 'up North'!) I may not be as streetwise as I'd like to think.. is there anywhere around GDS/Borough I should avoid at night?

Thanks in advance - can't wait to join you all in SE1!

James
Tuesday 28 August 2012 7.05am
Welcome to sarf London. I envy you, 18 years old and in a fantastic part of town, enjoy every minute of it. Your in a central location so the worlds your lobster my boy. Top tip bring your bicycle with you it's the best way to get around. Oh and get a good lock.
Tuesday 28 August 2012 7.31am
Well done, jcliney, you've chosen well...it's a terrific part of town, close to everything, great transport (even without your bike) even easy walking to most things. The South Bank has it all. SE1 is tops.
Tuesday 28 August 2012 7.35am
Welcome to SE1, one of the most vibrant and interesting areas in central London. This is a pretty safe area although it is important to be sensible and use common sense, as in every big city in the world. Public transportation is good and there is a Boris Bike docking station right in front of the building where you'll be living.

You're going to have a great time here. Do use this forum as a support- it is a great way to meet people.
Tuesday 28 August 2012 8.23am
Staying safe

Hi James,

Good luck with your studies and enjoy your time at KCL.

I have added a link on staying safe its from the University of London Housing site, Once you arrive at KCL you will be given a load of info on staying safe .

If there's some advice I could give you is when you are out and exploring the city, if you have items like smartphone, mobile phone, Ipad and Ipod and do need to use them try and not use them in public space late at night, or close to a road your will be a target.

You will be given more info from KCL student union team and also from your accommodation site.

Good luck and also the best
Steve
Tuesday 28 August 2012 2.47pm
Good advice for anyone on that list.

The major crime issue I see from a local perspective is bike theft and phones, so ensure you buy a quality D lock for any bike you have or intend on buying (don't be tempted by the cheaper cable locks, they can be cut in seconds). Good locks are expensive, but then so is public transport if it becomes your only option. The advice for phones is covered and I'd say the main concern at your age is not getting so out of it you become an easy target.

The Miller on Newcomen St is probably a good local bet for the student buzz, sadly the days of a lock in at The Rose just up the road with its classic jukebox is now history.
Tuesday 28 August 2012 4.22pm
You'll probably find that you can walk from Gt Dover St to King's, so a bike may not be a necessity.

Agree with Tolstoy that the Miller is one of the more studenty pubs locally; it's actually on Snowsfields rather than Newcomen St.
Tuesday 28 August 2012 4.43pm
Oops, my mistake. I was cycling past it and checked the road sign as I hit the corner of Snowfields/Newcomen St. True, anywhere local is not really an issue for travel but I would hope you'd want to slip out of SE1 occasionally!
Tuesday 28 August 2012 5.37pm
The Roebuck is where most of the KCL lot hang out. Has, or used to have, a good pub quiz on Tuesday nights.
Tuesday 28 August 2012 5.54pm
Thanks for all the replies guys. Very reassuring - between the lack of comments on here, as well as other sites I've had a read of, it sounds like SE1 is overall a relatively safe place to live. Re bikes, I'll take that on board, as the walk to the Strand campus is a bit further than I'd fancy! Cycling would be ideal.

JasonSE1; I noticed the Roebuck, it's right opposite my halls. Useful for a quick stumble home! Cheers
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: