Early Morning bottle collection - Hatfields

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 30 August 2012 3.59am
yet again i have been woken up by the morning collection of the wheely bins full of empty bottles left outside the Anchor and Hope pub

This morning it was at 0450 !!!!!!

As i am sure you can imagine, 5 wheely bins being emptyed into the back of a refuse lorry makes quite a racket at any time of the day , let alone 0450 !

any idea on who to report this to as am sure this can't be within common sense never mind legal/noise etc !!
Thursday 30 August 2012 8.10am
I would suggest your local councllors and the noise nuisance officers of your local council. The difficulty here is that the Anchor and Hope is on the border of Southwark and Lambeth as you may well be. I would contact them both.
I had problems with the premises some years ago when they were blocking the footpath in Hatfields and even though the relevant officer agreed with me that it was a dangerous practice, particularly with regards young mothers with pushchairs and the disabled he did nothing. In fact he contacted my local coucillor and told him , in writing, that as I was the only person complaining he was not prepared to do anything. Having discovered this I wrote to him, not revealing that I had seen his letter to the councillor, and informed him that should anybody get injured because of the situation I would make available all correspondence to the injured party and hold him personally responsible because he had the power to do something and did nothing. It worked. The bins were removed from the footpath
I give you this illustration to show that persistence, written evidence and holding the relevant officers responsible for their actions/non-action and letting them know it. You must also get some of your neighbours to complain so that they cannot use the argument that it is only one person (a crank in their view) who is concerned.
Friday 31 August 2012 1.21pm
Good advice above. I had a similar problem when I lived in the West End - the noise of smashing glass is something that I could never get used to and it always used to wake me up so I sympathise. I would also suggest raising it directly with the Anchor & Hope and the refuse collection company (Veoila?) to see what they can do.

|Free calls to USA & Canada | http://www.zipcall.com |
Saturday 1 September 2012 1.50pm
Ninja - I live opposite the Anchor & Hope so I totally feel your pain. It wakes me up almost every time. It also doesn't help that Tas empty their glass bins between 00:00 and 01:00 every night too.

Typically, the best person to write to would be a Southwark council "Environmental Health Officer". I'm not entirely sure of how it would progress from there, as it's not really the fault of A&H, but the municipal refuse collectors.

These sorts of things typically require multiple complaints - I'm happy to co-ordinate with you if you'd like?

G
Sunday 2 September 2012 4.09pm
A large dustbin truck comes to collect the bottles from premises around Hatfields, The Cut and Joan Street every night between 12am and 1am. The noise from the engine of this vehicle alone wakes me up. Someone has obviously made the decision that this is the best time to be on the road collecting recyclable 'stuff' from business premises. Please let me know when you find a contact who is likely to help and I will write too.
Monday 3 September 2012 3.21pm
i have phoned the noise /anti social helpline for southwark council and they have said they will send a noise team to speak to the anchor and hope regarding bottle collection .

Might be an idea for as many people as possible to contact them regarding this so as many reports as possible are made
Tuesday 4 September 2012 8.18am
received a call today from southwark council who inform me that there is nothing they can do ...no laws being broken and they dont work the hours that the bottle collections happen so .....
Tuesday 4 September 2012 8.49am
Ninja 999,
Do not accept the brush-off and the siding with the Anchor and Hope by the (Southwark?/Lambeth?) council worker, it makes their job very easy to be so dismissive and say no laws are being broken. It is a noise nuisance and they should deal with it as such.
I must say the response you got sounds more like Lambeth than Southwark, make sure both councils are aware of the problem from contributors to this post from Southwark and Lambeth residents
Thursday 6 September 2012 3.32pm
I live in Nelson Square, right above the pub and their bottles are being collected between 1-2 in the morning!
I haven't contacted anyone yet as I put this down to disruption during the Olympics and maybe they changed the schedule to accommodate... does anyone know if this is the case before i go in guns blazing?!
Thursday 6 September 2012 3.33pm
*Blazing .... lol
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: