Renting in Scovell Estate?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 4 September 2012 5.16pm
Hello,

I went to see a flat for rent on Collinson Walk, Scovell Estate today. I was wondering if anybody else was renting there and what they thought of it? It's very good location because it's so central but I'm just wondering about what kind of people are living there (are they council tenants or mostly privately owned/rented?), what's the general atmosphere like there and if it's safe after dark? It didn't look like a typical 5-10 storey estate but I just didn't manage to get a proper feel for it and am now very confused whether or not to go for it!

Any comments would be very welcome - help!

Thanks,
Asiya
Tuesday 4 September 2012 5.58pm
I'm an owner occupier living there and I cannot imagine living anywhere else. It's almost always quiet (very quiet, in fact, because of the lack of cars) and I have yet to hear of any after dark incidents after 14 years living here. The houses and flats were built by the council, but the place is very much now a mix of council tenants, owner occupiers and private rentals (mostly to young professionals). There is also a fairly large number of disabled and elderly residents.

Of course, bad things can happen anywhere, but the most annoying thing I have ever encountered here are barbecues setting off my smoke alarm and failing lights flickering at night. One handy thing is that most properties are on a district heating scheme, which isn't cheap, but is very reliable and it does mean unlimited and unmetered heating and hot water 24/7.
Tuesday 4 September 2012 6.02pm
boroughbloke - thank you so much for your reply - it's most helpful! I'm going to go there again, probably a bit later, like after 8 pm to get a better feel. I think I'm just nervous because it's an area I'm not very well familiar with. Any pub recommendations?
Tuesday 4 September 2012 6.41pm
It'll likely be very quiet at 8.00pm. Please do not mistake it being very quiet with it being empty and intimidating. About the most intimidating thing you might run into is one of the local foxes, which are generally the noisiest locals of all when they get in the mood for lurve.

I'm not a big pub goer myself, but The Duke of York on the corner of Borough Road and Southwark Bridge Road, is usually busy with an after work crowd (it's closed at weekends). Locals tend to go to The Ship in the corner of Borough Road and Newington Causeway or the Libertine on Great Suffolk Street. (again often busy with an after work crowd) There is also The Ruse, which tends to be a bit more of a sports bar than a pub.
Tuesday 4 September 2012 6.42pm
Thank you! I'll keep that in mind.
Wednesday 5 September 2012 10.11am
It's a great area - go for it!

|Free calls to USA & Canada | http://www.zipcall.com |
Wednesday 5 September 2012 10.31am
I've put down the deposit! I'm definitely an SE1 person now!
Wednesday 5 September 2012 11.01am
Well done!

|Free calls to USA & Canada | http://www.zipcall.com |
Wednesday 5 September 2012 11.02am
Thank you! I'm already thinking of frequent trips to Borough Market, Bermondsey Sq, Southbank, Tate Modern - amazing location! :D
Wednesday 5 September 2012 11.19am
asiyaislam wrote:
Thank you! I'm already thinking of frequent trips to Borough Market, Bermondsey Sq, Southbank, Tate Modern - amazing location! :D
Welcome to SE1! Come along & meet a few of us SE1'ers at the Leather Exchange pub from 7.30pm this evening.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: