Anyone have a male Syrian hamster?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 6 September 2012 6.52pm
Hello,

We posted something about this in the chatter forum last June, and someone suggested more people might see the post here. We're still looking!

In the meantime, Mitsey the Hamster has acquired a twitter account @MitseyHamster.

Here's the original message:

Our 8 year old son, Felix, is very keen to breed his hamster, Mitsey. We were resistant at first, but he has put so much work into researching and planning, and finding potential homes for the babies that we have finally given in.

So we were wondering if there was anyone in the SE1 area with a male Syrian hamster that we could borrow? It would involve the hamster coming to us for a week or two, so it might be a opportunity for some free hamster-sitting over your holidays.

My e-mail address is jeho@jeho.org.

Jim Ottaway
Thursday 6 September 2012 7.08pm
It might be worth mentioning that it's possible the voluteers male hamster could be killed or at least severely injured by your female. At least they'll know what might happen.
Thursday 6 September 2012 8.47pm
Thanks Beetroot...Breeding hamsters in an area separate from the female’s territory (i.e her cage) minimises the risk of any fighting. But responsible breeders will still watch hamsters carefully throughout the breeding time (quite short)to protect both the male and the female. We have collected an awful lot of information from hamster breeding organisations and will share this with anyone who contacts us so that they can make an informed decision.
Thursday 6 September 2012 9.23pm
I couldn't find @MitsyHampster but on doing a twitter search for hampster I came accross

@_shannybella
awwww my hampster is taking care of her babies this time, last time she ate them lol

so take care!
Thursday 6 September 2012 9.58pm
It is 'hamster' without a 'p'. And 'mitsey' with an 'e'.
Thank you for your comments. Yes, hamster breeders need to be aware of the risks to offspring too. (there is lots of good advice on how to reduce/avoid these risks). Thank you.
Thursday 6 September 2012 10.34pm
Sounds like you've done a lot more research than most, Jeho. My only concern is that you won't know anything about the line of either hamster, as far as hereditary problems are concerned. I'm more familiar with the rat keeping world so manybe it's different with hamsters.
Thursday 6 September 2012 10.45pm
Thank you again Beetroot. It is great to have all of these points. My son will be very interested and I know that he and his friends will enjoy discussing your contributions.
Thursday 6 September 2012 11.15pm
Congratulate Felix on such responsible pet owning - I will follow Mitsey on Twitter and encourage all I know. This is why the internet was invented.

Brilliant

x
Friday 7 September 2012 2.41pm
Hello Hamster lovers. I think you will all love this video of two hamsters having outrageous fun

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/video-two-hamsters-one-wheel-1300335

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: