Tower Bridge/Bricklayers Arms traffic

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 9 September 2012 10.40pm
The last few months there has been a significant amount of traffic heading northbound up tower bridge road.

Today I realised why-though not sure if it is on purpose.

The traffic lights at grange road-barclays bank, is set that the southbound light has a few more seconds than the north bound. The northbound lights of tower bridge road last 5 seconds rather than 8-10 southbound meaning only a few cars escape and traffic backing up at the roundabout!

Is this on purpose? If so to keep me calming after work can someone kindly explain how this helps?

Monday 10 September 2012 6.38am
I've noticed this too. It might have been part of the London 2012 traffic-light rephasing, though I can't imagine why. Hopefully it'll now change back.

Another thing that really doesn't help traffic along this stretch is the right turn from TBR to Abbey Street; cars waiting to turn right often make it difficult for 42, 78 and 188 buses to pass, meaning traffic backs up behind them.

I know this because I've been on one of those buses when it happens and it's rather annoying if in a hurry.
Monday 10 September 2012 8.05am
They should have a right turning arrow for all the right hand turns on TBR as they are difficult and cause hold ups.

I have often had to sit through several turns of the lights to go right as traffic blocks the junctions (despite the yellow boxes).

I presumed the lights change was part of the 2012 changes, to cut traffic into the centre. I hope they remember to change it back!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: