The future of Long Lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 10 September 2012 9.30am
What are people's thoughts on the Long Lane future / proposal document?

http://yourbermondsey.org/2012/09/long-lane-opportunities-for-the-future/

There's some very interesting history in the doc, and it would be great if the 'opportunity' sites outlined actually get the improvements / development they suggest.

The traffic speed is especially bad along this road so it's good to hear TFL are putting up substantial cash to improve this.

A great local initiative, I hope it sets the standard for community led improvement to an area.

Related news & features

Monday 10 September 2012 9.39am
An excellent idea. Long Lane has so much potential, but is quite depressing at the moment with disused buildings and vacant sites that need to be used.

|Free calls to USA & Canada | http://www.zipcall.com |
Monday 10 September 2012 10.09am
I'd like to see the volume of traffic reduced. Perhaps that's unrealistic. And yes, there are too many empty spaces and vacant pub sites, though it's good that Simon the Tanner has been rehabilitated. The initiative has promise, definitely.
Monday 10 September 2012 10.12am
The question of traffic on Long Lane is bound up with the redevelopment of London Bridge Station and the associated (temporary and permanent) road closures which seem highly likely to have an impact (even if the signed diversion is via Great Dover Street).

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 10 September 2012 12.55pm
Wonder how many vehicles fly down Long Lane...I wish they would make bartholomew street one way, access from great dover st. only...

James how many road closures are to stay in Long Lane? is there any where we could look?
Monday 10 September 2012 12.59pm
Jan - the issue is that when St Thomas Street is shut for the rebuilding of the station, traffic coming east along Southwark Street will have to use Long Lane or Great Dover Street to get to Tooley Street and Jamaica Road, as the right turn from Borough High Street to Duke Street Hill is buses-only.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 10 September 2012 1.23pm
James,

When is that due to happen?

Thanks

Monday 10 September 2012 4.46pm
Relevantly, I witnessed a minor accident on Long Lane earlier today around midday. A van backed into traffic from City Walk and received a glancing blow. Nobody was hurt although both vehicles needed attention for dislodged bumpers & punctured tyres.

The van driver seemed to be at fault but it's a difficult section of road. People drive quickly and visibility around that bend isn't great. As LongLane says, it's good to see that there are plans to slow drivers down.
Tuesday 11 September 2012 12.55pm
I've also seen traffic absolutely fly over the zebra crossing down towards Tesco. I'm always quite bold on zebra crossings as it is my right of way when on foot, so I make a point of not standing submissively waiting for traffic to stop.

I remember once a year or so ago a pleasant chap doing at least 50mph in a land rover hammering on his brakes as a mother with buggy and small child very nearly stepped in to the zebra crossing. He clearly didn't notice their brightly-coloured presence until the last moments.

He politely flicked me the V's as I stood shaking my head at him.

I'd narrow certain sections to single-lane traffic where you have to give priority in one direction or the other - although not sure if it might be slightly too busy a road for that?
Tuesday 11 September 2012 1.24pm
I think Long Lane is a blue route for emergency vehicles so the kind of traffic calming you suggest probably wouldn't work. I also think, as you said in your post, that the road is too busy. However, I do think that traffic needs to be slowed down somehow.

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: