School child knocked by cyclist this morning

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 10 September 2012 10.51am
A school girl was hit by a cyclist riding on the pavement this morning. The girl was running for the No. 53 bus at Bricklayers Arms, heading towards the Elephant when the cyclist hit her. They were riding on the inside of the bus shelter when she should have been on the road.

The girl was from St Jude's school on St George's Road, I got on the bus with her and ensured she was ok but did not see her get off at the stop she should have for school. If it was your child that was hurt, please let me know they are ok.
Monday 10 September 2012 11.22am
/
Pops wrote:
A school girl was hit by a cyclist riding on the pavement this morning. The girl was running for the No. 53 bus at Bricklayers Arms, heading towards the Elephant when the cyclist hit her. They were riding on the inside of the bus shelter when she should have been on the road.
The girl was from St Jude's school on St George's Road, I got on the bus with her and ensured she was ok but did not see her get off at the stop she should have for school. If it was your child that was hurt, please let me know they are ok.

Pops, I refer you to Debrajoan's post of 7/10/12 in reply to your one about cyclists shouting at you when you were crossing as a pedestrian at a Green Man phase at Bricklayers Arms, (Sick of all the push bikers jumping lights on Borough High Street?) where she alleged that apparently it has been accepted that cyclists can do no wrong nowadays. This now appears to include cycling on the pavement and hitting children.
Monday 10 September 2012 11.32am
Cycling should not be aloud on any pavement, they are for pedestrians to walk on. You should not have to have eyes in the back of your head to walk on a pavement because a cyclist wants to ride on it for THEIR safety.
Monday 10 September 2012 1.48pm
Poor girl, these morons who ride on pavements needs shooting, lets hope she's not too badly injured and suffering from concussion which can take some time to show. Did the cyclist stop?

The only acceptable pavement cyclist should be under ten, un fortunately the cretins who speed past my front door can easily be ten years plus older, and yes I do shout at them, but these whizz along.

A few years ago on the promenade at Bognor some teenagers were riding, a police car stopped and told them off, telling them it was not allowed under any circumstances, and if they wanted to see the sea they should get off and walk.. I am normally tempted to stick my walking stick out and cause them a clout on the head.
Monday 10 September 2012 5.12pm
Yes poor girl. Hope she is OK.
I remonstrated with 2 adult cyclists weaving in
and out of pedestrians on the pavement outside the Hop Exchange yesterday. 'It's alright ' said one of the idiots 'We're cycling slowly '

So that's alright then !
Monday 10 September 2012 5.57pm
" If it was your child that was hurt"

err . . . I think the best thing to do is call an ambulance in circumstances like that. You say the girl was running and collided with a cyclist. This is certainly enough to cause a concussion. If it was your child I think you would prefer to err on the side of caution.

Was it a hit and run? Did you call the police? A concussed child is hardly in a position to think of these things.

If it was I who witnessed what you describe I would not have lost sight of that child until she was in the care of her parents and/or her doctor and all details of the incident given.

Having children of their own, I know my boss would understand if I was a bit late.
Monday 10 September 2012 6.39pm
The girl got on the bus said she was ok, I told her to go the the school office when she arrived. The cyclist stopped, looked upset but sat there and stared into space, did not attempt to speak to the child or see if she was ok.

I did not realise I was responsible for children going to school when their parents are no where to be seen. Sorry about that
Zoe
Monday 10 September 2012 6.46pm
I think it's a bit harsh to criticise Pops for this, it's really important to stop and assist others, but you have to be careful that you don't go a bit far, if they say they are fine. You can't go home with them!

You did the right thing Pops, hopefully she did tell the school office when she got in.
Monday 10 September 2012 7.06pm
Zoe wrote:
I think it's a bit harsh to criticise Pops for this, it's really important to stop and assist others, but you have to be careful that you don't go a bit far, if they say they are fine. You can't go home with them!
You did the right thing Pops, hopefully she did tell the school office when she got in.

I find it more than a bit harsh, it borders on being out of order especially coming from someone who's previously stated:

"Le Roi Tuesday 19 September 2006 11.54am
i agree Al,

Considering the statistic of bicycle/pedestrian accidents it would be a fair bet that the people who are being vocal against cyclists are simply prejudiced and not directly affected themselves.

When I see a cyclist on the pavement I have no objection whatsoever.

I have seen others who take exception and who feel its their 'duty' to give out - I am disgusted by this outward exhibition of sheer prejudice, its a bit sickening.

Our community has been built on tolerance and a 'live and let live' policy. Complaining about cyclists on the pavement truly shows their (newly arrived) colours. I do hope they dont complain when they in turn are faced with intolerance.

What goes around, comes around.

2c"
Monday 10 September 2012 7.13pm
You could question why the bus driver and passengers didn't demand the police being called? Also the cyclist herself, she could have asked for the police or ambulance to be called?

I'm all for helping people but if someone says they are ok, I am not going to persist them and get myself into a situation when it's not needed. Wish I had never of showed concerned in the community now.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: